Author Topic: airless gun tip storage/being rushed by control freaks  (Read 7228 times)

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
airless gun tip storage/being rushed by control freaks
« on: March 14, 2006, 07:33:24 AM »
What is a way(best)? to store airless tip and guard.  I am currently putting them in thinners.

What do you do  when customers seem to hurry you to because they their inscurities. Sometimes I work per hour and I really move but it never seems fast enough :inevitably I have a miss or drip paint. Then after the job I'm  not very satified and feel exploited. I have recently  gone on my own and  the emotional game of painting is new .
 :P

the PAINTSMITH

Re:airless gun tip storage/being rushed by control freaks
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 10:10:32 AM »
As far as tips go, I keep mine CLEAN and DRY, and keep them in plastic storage bags. I know guys who keep theirs in lacquer thinner because they don't have the patience (or professional hygiene?) to thoroughly clean their spray tips. Some guys don't care, as they're a write-off anyway...To each their own...

I have a "tip keep" in mind for this summer, just a chunk of foam with appropriate holes drilled to slide my clean tips into...

Dealing with customers? Well, you get used to it...A thick skin doesn't hurt... 8)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 12:12:11 AM »
That is a drawback to T&M... you create a "Boss" that is inexperienced in the Trade, prone to impatience, and sometimes obnoxious.... :-\

My advice would be to put the focus back on the work.... In the long run a great job will please your customers far more than a fast job. Point out to your customers that quality work takes time and patience... in order to achieve the results that you require and they deserve.  

I wonder if they would rush the plumber or electrician....I bet not.   ;)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2006, 12:12:55 AM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 08:41:46 PM »
I agree that T&M is bad.

In fact, I don't think that anyone should ever work on a T&M basis because everyone basically loses in that type of environment.  Customers would much rather have a fixed price presented to them anyway...remember that sometimes a potential customer may have absolutely no idea how much a paint job costs.  By working with them on a T&M basis, you are basically saying that you have no idea either.  I would say that you need to get out of that T&M pattern as soon as you can and you do that by job costing, learning your times, understanding your expenses, etc.  I still do wallpaper stripping on a T&M basis because I really may not know what is involved with a job like that, but that is it.  The rest of the jobs are fixed bid or no bid! Besides, it is really none of the customers business how much I rake in per hour, now is it?

rivdog

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 08:41:18 PM »
I live in w. Mass.  If I were to spray T+M, with my sprayers, I own an airless and a 4900 hvlp w cart, i would have to get at least 35-40?hr with them.  Take 10 doors and brush 2 sides ,2coats by hand, plus prep time.  Now take the same 10 with the same prep, and spray em,  the biggest limitation to how many I can spray in a day is dry time and setup space.  Once prepped, I can easily finish 25-30 doors in 6 hours on a good dry day.  If you are spraying by the hour your nuts.  That equipment cost u good money and saves your cust. money in the end

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 06:02:23 AM »
I have taken the forums advice on the T&M which I hope means Time for Money. I broke  the news to a builder I work with who loves to exploit on this per/hour system. Even though I am charging him $60.00 Aust /perhour .He is probably going to make 100% on my effort (I don't know but it is a big church building . I might have to give him the ass or I might get the ass myself .It 's abit scary but I feel the motivation slipping  away and resentment creeping  in on the T&M .
 :-\ >:(

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 09:34:58 PM »
T&M means Time & Materials....essentially your labor plus the paint.

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 08:09:17 AM »
Paintho, if you're charging Time & Materials, it doesn't matter what the builder is doing. He'll charge the customer what you charge him, then tack on a percentage as his "fee"...In a T&M situation it's hard NOT to make some money, you just lose the opportunity to make a large profit--hint; mark up your materials at least 20%...It is both legal and prudent...(heh heh, in the USA, anyhow...)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 08:09:59 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2006, 09:15:11 PM »
He's quick this guy he buys  most of the paint(Trade Price). I dinged him on the glass I bought and some glazing which I am doing at home . He runs a tight ship but is effective and inefficient due to his paranoia of other making money .He study as a priest in his early days so I feel he thinks his tradesmens are his devoted flock.So we have to manipulate to get our needs meet. What a pickle. Thank's for the imput.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 09:16:40 PM by Paintho »

anything