Author Topic: FreshAire Paint line from HD  (Read 8143 times)

Offline tallpaul

FreshAire Paint line from HD
« on: July 26, 2009, 09:02:31 AM »
I had a customer want to use the FreshAire paint line at home depot and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it. All they gave me at first was the color name and that they think it was from home depot, so I went to HD and couldn't find it. Then I asked the "all-knowing" paint employees to stop talking about the beer bongs they have done lately to look it  up for me but they also couldn't find it. I went home and got on the internet and found that it was Freshaire so I went back to HD and found the Freshaire line hidden down the paint aisle which I guess employees don't think to check.
It is a NO VOC paint with NO VOC "tint bags". They just throw the bags into the paint (plastic and all) and shake it. ANYWAY...
The color we painted over was about middle of the range as far as darkness goes and the paint we used was a shade of white.  IT DID NOT COVER WORTH A DARN. We put 3 coats on and it still could have used another, but it would have had to be a better paint because I don't think it ever would have looked right with that crap.
Bottom line, HD employees drive me crazy and HD paint lines once again let me down.

Jared

Re: FreshAire Paint line from HD
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
Now you see why I run for the hills when a potential client insists on using paint from HD.  In my experience, this is the all-time biggest red flag.  Never has one of these jobs resulted in a pleasant experience or any profit for me.

Offline PainterJan

• postingpro
    • Jan's Creative Color
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 07:10:42 PM »
I had a customer want to use the FreshAire paint line at home depot and was wondering if anyone had any experiences with it.....

It is a NO VOC paint with NO VOC "tint bags".

I had a customer last summer that was severely allergic to paint (and many other things as well), and she tried to talk me in to using the FreshAire paint. Yes, it is ZERO VOC. But, there is a limited color palette to chose from and after some research because I was concerned about her health (which of course I did not get paid for), the SW Duration is very low VOC (the paint is zero but the tint has a small amount, I have the data sheet), and of course there's that QUALITY thing. I convinced her to let me keep with my proven product and that I'd keep air circulating/windows open etc. in case she had a sensitivity to it.

She was thrilled with the result and not one sniffle or red eye was ever reported.

“I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best.” -Oscar Wilde

Offline decoman

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 08:35:37 PM »
We did just did a bedroom this week w/ BM's Natura bright blue over orange (Tangerine BM 083) and it cover nicely in two easy coats. I was expecting 3 coats cuz the color change and the use of a zero voc product.

I have yet to hear one good thing about Freshaire
MAK -
Decoman

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 08:44:04 PM »
Natura is good, Ben is pretty good too- Jan , way to hold to your guns and use the good stuff. It's hard to convince people that experience actually teaches us something- something worth listening to!
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline decoman

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »
yes Ben is good Low VOC alternative to Aura
MAK -
Decoman

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:55 AM »
Bottom line, HD employees drive me crazy and HD paint lines once again let me down.

Now there is a BIG surprise! ;D

Offline tntpainting

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2009, 09:19:42 PM »
run for the hills buddy all hd paints are watered down garbage woulnt use any of them but the higher end glidden stuff from there but only in a pinch