Author Topic: A Strange Thing Happened While I Was Doing Nothing  (Read 3899 times)

the PAINTSMITH

A Strange Thing Happened While I Was Doing Nothing
« on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:45 PM »
As some of you know, I've been recuperating from what they told me was "major surgery". I do not feel recuperated, I feel stir crazy. I have, however, been sneaking around working on the house while the Commandant is away.

Today I was priming some 1/8" ply shelf liners for the utility room.

...I had a choice, from what leftovers I had on hand, between a year-old gallon of BM Fresh Start alkyd primer with 3 shots of black tint, or---Get this, a 10+ year old gallon of Dunn-Edwards Unikote latex undercoater I found in the pile of "inventory"...I bought the Unikote in Phoenix a few years before I moved to Minn in 2002...The can was a bit less than half full. Guess what I chose to open...As more of a science experiment than anything else...

The material was perfect. 7 years away from home, through 6 eskimo-cold winters, sitting undisturbed in a pile of gallon cans that I was figuring on hauling to a so-called "hazardous waste facility" one of these days...There was no sludge, no solids, just snow-white D-E undercoater...It was a joy applying the stuff.

I miss having a D-E store. I miss having D-E materials. I miss their oxhair brushes.

I miss my D-E sales rep. Brandon, if you're still with the company, give me a holler...I have an order for you... :'(

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: A Strange Thing Happened While I Was Doing Nothing
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I think those storeable paints are a thing on the past..  I've been hauling off tons of latex piece cans that are only six months to a year old...  :-\  I can't even describe what they turned into, kinda like a glob of goo..  :-[
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Vin

Re: A Strange Thing Happened While I Was Doing Nothing
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 02:15:44 AM »
HEY i did an experiment using D-E also and painted my entire house with there products, from the flat scrubbable ceiling paint to the enamel on cabs and jambs and wainscot.  ONLY complaint i have isthere eggshell is to shiny but its ok not real bad and its in every room wall in this house , nice paint to spray or brush n roll and the guys are great at this store in fresno. I have heard there undercoater it the bomb !