Author Topic: How many hours per/week  (Read 4933 times)

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
How many hours per/week
« on: March 23, 2006, 05:48:32 AM »
. I have recently worked for the last 10 straight for roughy 8 hours per/day not cause I  really need the money but cause the work is availiable .What is a comfortable schedule for you all(attempt at U.S slang)

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re:How many hours per/week
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 12:32:08 PM »
Yeah, sometimes you gotta do what ya gotta do....but you need to set limits or you WILL burn yourself out. Most GCs will have you working every waking minute, including weekends, if you LET THEM. And you have to charge a premium for weekend work or anything over forty hours a week....make it hurt em in the wallet and they will stop asking...or they will make it worthwhile... ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 01:50:08 PM »
Where I am the work is very seasonal...The summer months get really intense, a lot of dark to dark workdays...Winter here is unpredictable for inside jobs, so building a nice nestfull through the summer is important...But Michael's right; burnout is inevitable and once that happens , it's difficult to get back into a groove...Sometimes ya gotta force yourself to take it easy...I have seriously bad shoulders from overworking and not watching myself...My days as a hands-on contractor are numbered. I'll have to hire a couple of crews and go into babysitting mode, which I hear is worse than death itself...

Once in a while you'll get a job where you come in WAY under what you bid...That's when you call in sick and go fishing for a few days... ;) 8)

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 09:33:18 PM »
Where i live in the northeast ,competition is tight.  I wish i could come in way under and go fishin.  Instead i put a limit on the hours i work.  "all work and no play makes me a miserable boy".  If I could plan out 12 months of work to my liking, i would bust for 6 mos and sleep for 6 mos.
Git er done!

anything