Author Topic: Airless fine finish tip  (Read 4635 times)

Offline rivdog

• I'm a llama!
Airless fine finish tip
« on: March 23, 2006, 09:43:12 PM »
Hey guys, I used my first fine finish tip on my airless today.  It was a 214.  I normally spray about 10 gal per week thru my hvlp on trim and doors.  Had some problems with the hvlp which necessitated a switch.  WOW, that 214 sprays the semi  latex way better than my hvlp.  Heavy, but niiiice.  My ? is, how many gallons should I expect to get through this tip before replacement.  I spray SW 200 semi regularlt.  I sprayed 25 doors and accompanying trim and 8 windows today and i think The spray pattern is showing wear.  No, no floetrol in this batch
Git er done!

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
Re:Airless fine finish tip
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 10:19:58 PM »
I switch out my FF tips after spraying about 40 gallons of varnish, but for latex I really don't know....it seems that they never wear out.  After I switch out the varnish tip, that tip becomes a latex tip and I bet I can run 300 gallons of paint through that thing before I notice that it's really blown out.  Latex paints are so easy to spray that the tip really just isn't a factor for me unless it is really blown open.  I just keep lowering the pressure until the spray fan is where I like it.

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:26:18 AM »
I was really impressed by  the fine finish tip. I was abit pissed-off because I bought the tips and a HVLP gun for my compressor from gleem and realised that the tips did what the hvlp was suppose to do . I am going to experiement with the HVLP this weekend with visocity and air pressure. I am using #3 projector spraying oil undercoat and then trying oil gross.I will try  a number #4 to see if the acrylic with go through. Any tips

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 08:13:27 AM »
Wow, a 214? That's actually a pretty good sized orifice...A 211 would be more to my liking, but remember with the smaller tips that it's good to install a 100-mesh gun or line filter to reduce pluggin' up...

That 214 should be dumpin' the paint on real good...Make sure you're moving at an appropriate speed!! :o