Author Topic: Is it too wet to paint?  (Read 7567 times)

Offline Mattie

• I'm a llama!
Is it too wet to paint?
« on: March 24, 2006, 05:45:23 PM »
Hi guys, I've just gotten the contract to paint the exterior of a cabin. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so the temp. is mild but we have quite a bit of rain. Last week was beautiful, lots of sunshine, but this week has been a different story, rain and wind. Tomorrow is promising to be sunny with cloudy periods, can I possibly put a first coat of latex on pre painted siding or will it be too wet? Front of the cabin faces the lake with lots of weather but maybe the other 3 sides will be good for a start. What do you think?

Thanks, this place is great, hope I get a couple of responses to this.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
Re:Is it too wet to paint?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 08:41:29 PM »
The best way to find out for sure is to use a moisture meter and stick it into various places on the house until you are satisfied that it is dry enough.  You can pick one up for about $30...there are some fancy ones that sell for hundreds, but I've been happy with my $30 model.  You want that moisture content to be below 12 pecent before you paint.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 03:31:50 PM »
Hi Mattie,

A moisture meter is great to measure the wood's moisture content but it can be of little use for the previously painted wood that is in good shape ( no raw wood exposed ) The paint should have kept the moisture out of the wood.
Latex paint will tolerate more surface back moisture than oils, but the surface should not be wet. A few dry and Sunny days should dry out the nook and crannies...  :)

Best of Luck

rmichael
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 03:35:36 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Mattie

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 03:55:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies. We drove out there (40 minutes by car) and the front of the cabin facing the lake was to wet to even think of doing but we were able to get the 2 gable ends done. All by hand as we haven't decided on the make of sprayer we should buy. The place is up for sale and the seller just wants a fresh coat of paint on it, if I do have to paint the wetter stuff what will happen to the job in the long run? I know it is too cold and too wet but what can you do when a person just wants a quick fix-up? No guarantees, that's for sure. LOL

Thanks
Mattie

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 04:38:33 PM »
Mattie,

If it is really wet the paint can't get a hold of the surface. It will film over with a tenuous bond, when the Sun or dry atmospheric conditions draw the moisture out .... Well.. the paint film is coming off with it or at least it will start to pop ...  :'(   and your name will be MUD... :-[
I say let it dry....although you could work anonymously with a gag order slapped on to the customer... ;)
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline ArtisticPainting

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2006, 09:55:52 PM »
Hey Mattie! If you send the house down to me here in Florida, I will dry it out for you. No rain in weeks, 85 today with low humidity. Should be dry in no time! No charge for the service. What's the point of living in paradise if can't share it with your friends. ;D

anything