Author Topic: IN WHAT ORDER?  (Read 6510 times)

Offline Painters Plus

• Quality first then speed!!
IN WHAT ORDER?
« on: March 26, 2006, 01:35:35 AM »
HI I STARTED MY OWN PAINTING BUSINESS 6 YEARS AGO AND HAVE BEEN QUITE SUCCESSFUL. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT ORDER DO MOST PAINTERS FOLLOW. DO THEY CUT IN FIRST THEN ROLL? OR DO THEY ROLL FIRST THEN CUT IN AND ROLL AGAIN? DO THEY DO TWO CUT IN COATS OR JUST ONE? DO THEY ALWAYS WASH THE WALLS AND PRIME THEN PAINT?

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Re:IN WHAT ORDER?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »
I work by myself,   so for me      I cut in half the ceiling with a good angle brush-  procede to roll.  Continue this way around the room    and then repeat.    Also when cutting in and then painting,   depends on how fast you work.  

cut in -roll
cut in -roll

Your question?  Do they always wash the walls , prime and then paint.

No, not on everywall do I clean,  
No,  not on every wall do I prime
Will dust

Just depends,  each one will be different. Do a  thourgh examination  and try to get as much from the homeowner as possible.  

If in doubt ----- prime it out.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 08:46:06 AM by DecorativeWalls »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »
Way back in the 1800's when I was apprenticing  :o the rule I was given was "If it's flat, roll first--If it's enamel, cut first and don't get too far ahead of yourself..." I don't know if that old rule even applies anymore, with the newfangled paint formulas out there...I pretty much always cut first anyway...

Offline Painters Plus

• Quality first then speed!!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 11:30:10 AM »
Paintsmith do you cut in one wall first then roll it or do you cut in the entire room then roll? and do you do the same for the second coat? some painters I know some how get away with only one cut in coat.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 10:46:41 PM »
Just my nickel.... the paint label will tell you to cut and roll into it before it dries... which BTW is almost impossible with today's quick setting acrylics.... We cut in the whole room first ( wide cut in ) then start back rolling where we started cutting in. The cut in paint should be dry to touch ( not tacky and not left to dry overnight ) fade into the cut in by lightening up on the roller pressure at the top. I have used this technique for many years with every sheen and never had a problem with "picture framing".
Always cut and roll twice.... ;)

Now, Alkyds are another story....Right Paintsmith?... ;D
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 10:47:49 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2006, 11:47:54 PM »
Personally,  I cut and roll each wall separately for three reasons.  One, it keeps a nice wet edge.  Second, it keeps the brush/roller from drying out, and last it help the hand from getting cramped.

As for one or two coats:  On my repaints I use a good quality paint, and it's usualy drywall, so unless it's color change once is all it takes.   On my apartments, which are plaster and using a contractor grade paint I almost always have to do a double cut.  

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »
Heh heh, we could get into a good one here...Everybody's got a technique, and they all work...Unless I'm doing alkyds ;D, I cut the whole room first...To keep switching back and forth is none too expedient...

With the oils you HAVE to be expedient, because though they don't dry as fast they DO tack up quickly and if you don't get to your cut before that, the roping and dragging and wailing and gnashing of teeth begins....(got ya covered, Michael!! 8)) I use a lot of Penetrol when cutting and rolling oil...

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 12:55:23 AM »
I guess I agree that some time is lost switchingon each wall.  I'm just not sure my wrist would hold out if I didn't.

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 09:03:30 AM »
I worked alone 99% of the time.

I would cut in 3 feet and roll it..until I'm done. In cool weather, I'd cut 6 feet and roll.

What's important is how it looks when you're done and if you get the check. :)

Those who have partners work the same way, cutting in and rolling. Sometimes I've watched them run into each other.

There is one painter in town who cuts in last over a wet edge of course. She rolls to within 3/8 and cuts in behind that. They rave about her work, so it must work too.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline nabira

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2006, 11:56:35 AM »
One guy cuts and one rolls. If there are too much cutting and not too many walls than the guy who rolls help in the cutting as well.

I paint sparrows yellow! I also sell canaries to pet stores!