Author Topic: Bad - Worse - Behr  (Read 31337 times)

Jared

Bad - Worse - Behr
« on: January 14, 2010, 08:37:36 PM »
Anyone else brave (or stupid) enough to crack a recent gallon of Behr?

Better have some spoons & cake frosting applicators handy...  consistency is that of pudding now.  Literally.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 08:39:31 PM by Jared »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Bad - Worse - Behr
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:25 PM »
Never used Behr Jared, but I can attest to a lot of paints going in that direction.. almost unworkable without some thinning and a little XIM..

BTW on the subject of paints, ICI no longer exists, all the stores are being re-branded as Glidden Professional from what I have seen it's the same paints with a different label, but the the stores have gotten much leaner with accessories and supplies... pricing has gone up significantly with much smaller breaks for Pros... not a good thing..  :-\
« Last Edit: January 14, 2010, 09:08:16 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 09:05:40 PM »
Just haven't heard much good about the stuff.  I'll pay twice as much for a product ( aura) that I know will work and work well.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2010, 09:10:57 PM »
ICI- or glidden- has just made a huge inroad here in Minne- the big multi store outfit (Hirshfield's)  is now the official carrier here. Also the home of BM .
 I might see some of what you've been using all along!

All is not lost with a rebranding. Maybe they are coming out of HD and getting real again.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Jared

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »
Yeah, I heard that a major ICI rebranding was to be rolled out, back when AkzoNobel bought 'em out a couple years back.  Have not been down to my local ICI for quite some time, I might have to stop over there tomorrow to see what changes have taken place.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2010, 11:30:01 PM »
They are changing all their labels to red & black. Have repainted their stores interiors the same. Our local store no longer stocks Diamond paint their best product in my opinion. Only way we can get it is to special order it because we were the only ones using it. Some of their products are so thick they are almost impossible to use. No way to use it without using XIM extender so you can move it. Why can't the leave the paints alone. It's driving me crazy.

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2010, 11:49:58 PM »
All is not lost with a rebranding. Maybe they are coming out of HD and getting real again.

ICI's Dulux line and the Glidden Ultra Hide line are being re-branded as Glidden Professional To my knowledge the Glidden home owner line sold at big box stores was not sold at ICI stores... but ya never know..  ;)  ICI really ceased to exist after the buyout by AkzoNobel, re-branding to ICI's flagship label makes sense, but it seems that they are cutting back on sundries and inventory, maybe that is a temporary thing. Reducing discounts for professional painters and raising paint prices is likely a permanent thing...  :-\

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 07:32:56 AM »
Anyone else brave (or stupid) enough to crack a recent gallon of Behr?

Better have some spoons & cake frosting applicators handy...  consistency is that of pudding now.  Literally.

Jared, I guess I will go and stand with the stupid group.  It's been awhile (about 3 mths ago) since I have used Behr but I didn't have a problem.   The times I have used Behr Premium I have never had problems.   Haven't tried the Ultra (can't comment).   As far as using spoons and applicators, I have always found Behr to be this way.   I much prefer a thicker viscosity paint .

Jared

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 11:51:45 AM »
Well, I'll publicly admit that for the first time in 20+ years, I actually had to resort to taping off all of my cut-in work for this Behr job.  Luckily, the thick viscosity actually seemed to help out with avoiding tape bleed...  so for those who tape off their cut-in lines, this stuff could actually be good to work with, I suppose.  However, for those who rely on their steady hand for all cut-in work, be prepared with a whole lot of patience & plenty of #2080.

Offline BehrPro Connect Moderator

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 03:49:11 PM »
Jared,

We understand that everyone has his or her paint preferences. We are disappointed to hear that our products did not live up to your expectations regarding viscosity. Would you be willing offer more specific information on some of the coverage problems you've had?  This way, we can better understand your issue with our product.

If you're more comfortable doing it offline, we understand. Please let us know. We'd like to hear your professional feedback. It's important to us that we're addressing the concerns of our customers. Thank you in advance.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 06:26:05 PM »
BehrPro,

What is Behr's official statement concerning the use of XIM's extender/conditioner. We all know that today's new low VOC paint formulations can be next to impossible to "work", regardless of Brand.
While I have never used Behr paints, I agree with Jared, the viscosity of any paint is a real factor when cutting lines.  :-\ 

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 06:29:53 PM »

ICI's Dulux line and the Glidden Ultra Hide line are being re-branded as Glidden Professional To my knowledge the Glidden home owner line sold at big box stores was not sold at ICI stores... but ya never know..  ;)  ICI really ceased to exist after the buyout by AkzoNobel, re-branding to ICI's flagship label makes sense, but it seems that they are cutting back on sundries and inventory, maybe that is a temporary thing. Reducing discounts for professional painters and raising paint prices is likely a permanent thing...  :-\
They are closing stores around here and just leaving one open for the Huntsville area.
Sean

Jared

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 07:05:52 PM »
Jared,

We understand that everyone has his or her paint preferences. We are disappointed to hear that our products did not live up to your expectations regarding viscosity. Would you be willing offer more specific information on some of the coverage problems you've had?  This way, we can better understand your issue with our product.

If you're more comfortable doing it offline, we understand. Please let us know. We'd like to hear your professional feedback. It's important to us that we're addressing the concerns of our customers. Thank you in advance.

Did you even bother to read my post?  Apparently not.  Honestly, this response really seems to be posted by an automated program, and frankly, a poorly written one at that.

I do not want to paint with something that I have to spoon out of the can.  Paint is supposed to POUR.  It's a simple enough concept.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 07:08:36 PM by Jared »

Offline SixInARow

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2010, 07:17:21 PM »
I have to agree with Jared.  I've helped friends here and there who have bought Behr after I told them I hate painting with it.  It's next to unbrushable no matter how much crap you put in it.  I showed them what I meant about it being hard to work with when I made them buy some SW for other projects.  Needless to say they don't visit HD anymore.  Why do people think you have to have a thick paint to get good paint?  Sorry Behr boy, but your product is about as popular with pros as Service Magic is.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2010, 10:36:40 PM »
I used some Behr Premium interior trim and cabinet enamel last week for the first time (work traded for a family member) and it brushed out fine - not unlike other enamels I've used.  It wasn't abnormally thick in my opinion.  It didn't level as much as I'd like it too, but it is less than half the price of SW Proclassic so... I didn't really expect it to.  I think two coats of it will make my brother-in-law trim look fine, good enough.  Oh yeah, I did add some Floetrol to it (ran out of Extender.)

anything