Author Topic: Rolling Technique  (Read 4965 times)

Offline Painters Plus

• Quality first then speed!!
Rolling Technique
« on: March 26, 2006, 12:16:46 PM »
Hi again, just wanted to know if all painters actually roll using the w or n technique? I painted with a seasoned pro once and he just loaded the roller up with paint and did one row on the wall overlapping previous roll by half a roller, that was it.

Offline DecorativeWalls

• postingpro
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Rolling Technique
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 07:14:02 PM »
yep,  that's basically the way I do it.    Load the roller and start in the middle and roll upward.  I find rolling with an upward stroke in the beginning releases the paint more smoother and you don't get any teeny tiny splatters.   Roll up/down  and finish with a soft backroll .   Roll on next section and roll back over to the previous one just painted ,  finishing with a soft backroll down the middle  and torquing the closed end of the handle in the direction you are painting. :)

Offline Painters Plus

• Quality first then speed!!
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 08:47:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. Do you also always end the finish roll on the downstroke? and why is that?

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2006, 06:12:06 PM »
I didn't think that any painters used the W or N technique.  I thought it was a rule for homeowners and DIY'ers who don't paint everyday.  The idea behind it I believe is to tell people not to slop your loaded roller sleeve onto one spot on the wall...it needs to be spread out and that is what the W does.  Also, rolling poles haven't been around forever so the W pattern or painting in a 4 X 4 square area may be from the pre-extension pole age....whenever that was.  

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2006, 09:35:40 PM »
Yeah ..In prehistoric days roller poles used to be called sticks.... :)

If all you are doing is back rolling a spray then laying off in a single up and down makes sense. Laying on in a large N,W, or whatever suits your fancy (get some paint on the wall).. then laying off in sections makes for a lot more speed when doing a cut and roll.
Always ending each lay off pass at the bottom of the wall means that all the paint is finished in the same direction which makes for a more even finished appearance.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2006, 09:55:23 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."