Author Topic: Primer to use after wallpaper removal  (Read 16719 times)

Offline Painter60

Primer to use after wallpaper removal
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:42:51 PM »
I'm taking down some wallpaper in my kitchen using hot water and using a scraper to get underneath the paper. I've managed to put a few gouges in the drywall paper and am wondering what the best primer is to use. I've used Kills oil in the past when I've had a lot of the outer drywall paper removed but am wondering if that's the best way to go.

This has turned into a real project, I've found the paper was put up before the cabinets and I'm probably going to have to take down the end cabinets to do a real good job. I'm actually just worried about getting to the ceiling area at this point, am doing the family and dining rooms and the ceiling runs into the kitchen so that's why the paper is coming down there now, at least above the cabinets for now.

Brian

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
Re: Primer to use after wallpaper removal
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:07:49 PM »
Use a razor knife to cut the paper clean to the cabs.
Get all the glue off.( Did I say get all the glue off yet?)  Most people fail this step.

Then prime with Zinsser Gardz. Mud after,sand and reprime with whatever acrylic primer you like.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Painter60

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:16:17 PM »
Thanks, as far as I can tell all the glue is coming off except where a few very small pieces of the backing is still there, and yes that will be gone. I thought about using the razor knife and doing what I can, there are some very small thin areas I am not sure what I can do about though, between the cabinets and a window for instance, about a 1/2 inch space. Yes the paper went up before the casings as well. My main concern now is getting my ceiling done but want to prime the area above the cabinets first. I've never used Guards, can I tint that?

Thanks again,

Brian

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 08:52:05 PM »
Gardz is a thin clear sealer. But it is very good for damaged sheetrock and holding back the little glue residue that will be left.
 Little bit goes a long way with it- and for color thats why I said repair after Guardz and then reprime with primer of choice, tinted if you want to.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Painter60

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 08:59:01 PM »
Thanks... I thought I saw a post on here where someone added some white to the guards primer but it could have been somewhere else. As I said, my goal is to get the ceilings done, hence the paper removal kitchen as all the ceilings tie together. The kitchen is the last on my list to do after family and dining room and hall walls.

I painted pro for a few years, learned a lot of good techniques but the guy I worked with never primed after paper removal. A good skim coat and then 2 coats of finish. We didn't have damaged drywall though like I'm having with this job. This paper came off in little strips for the most part but at least the outer layer came off easily, it had been painted over. 

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 10:59:51 PM »
I agree with Brush, Gardz is not intended to be tinted. It's a good product that performs as advertised, IMO a must primer after wallpaper or for damaged drywall.. here is the pdf

http://www.zinsser.com/pdf/GardzBooklet.pdf

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 08:57:25 PM »
It is possible to remove wallpaper and then just paint, but that means you would have to get 100 percent of the glue off...most times, that just isn't possible or feasible.   I'm sure that there are contractors out there that remove the paper, skim coat and paint and those jobs look great....for a few months.   It takes some time for the paste that you didn't get off to actually eat through the paint and then the paint will crackle off.   I just use the Gardz now because I want peace of mind that the paintjob will last.

Offline Painter60

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 09:17:23 AM »
You have me wondering now about a big job we did a couple years ago. It wasn't a big house but every room had wallpaper that we took down, as well as some ceilings. We did not prime before skim coating nor after and there was a lot of glue left on the walls.

On my little kitchen it seems all the glue came off with the backing paper except for a few spots I've sanded. I wanted to prime/seal regardless as the drywall paper tore off in several small places and a lot of spots where the original cheapo primer came off as well.

I'm going to get some Gardz today and prime the top section so I can do some repair work next to the ceiling. Because this room was covered at build time 20 years ago they didn't do a good job with the initial mudwork.

This house had minimal painting done in the last 20 years, both bathrooms original, the rooms I'm doing now and the master bedroom were all original when I bought the place, and some ugly colors in the master I might add.

Offline Hangman

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 06:13:24 PM »
This is something I have a lot of experience with. Gardz is great for sealing and tightening bare drywall paper. Once you have cleaned as much of the paste residue as possible (glue is used for wood, not wallpaper : ) Bullseye 123 does an excellent job of sealing off the remaining residue and levels out nicely for finish painting. No matter how clean you get the wall some paste residue remains, so when you cut and roll the bullseye try not ot overwork it, it will level out as it dries. It can be tinted. This is my first post, I hope it is helpful. I've read some of what the regulars have written and most of them seem to know what they're talking about.
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 08:25:14 PM »
I would only use the 123 in oil based if you are trying to seal off wallpaper residue.  This is why the Gardz is a better choice...who wants to use an oil based product if they don't have to? Unless there has been some reformulation of acrylic/water based primers that I am unaware of, residual wallpaper adhesive will eat through them eventually.

Offline Hangman

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 09:52:00 PM »
Gardz does everything you guys said it does, no argument from me. There was a question about a tintable primer/sealer and Bullseye 123 has worked for me over previously papered walls the best. If the paste has been removed and the wall has been rinsed, 123 will finish the job nicely and seal off any remaining residue. It dries in about and hour leaving a hard, eggshell type surface. I've done it this way for years not only for my customers but also in my own home. 

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:10:11 PM »
Hangman,

What you are saying is a bit misleading because the latex version of 123 will not technically 'seal off any remaining residue'.   If there is residue, there is potential for it to eat through any water based coating that is not Gardz.  It's a fine primer to use, but IMO you should prime the entire area that was stripped with Gardz to be safe.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 04:24:58 AM »
I agree with Carl

Hangman says

"Once you have cleaned as much of the paste residue as possible (glue is used for wood, not wallpaper : ) "

Thank you for that quote ;D,I have been trying to get that point across for ever. ::)

Offline Hangman

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 09:40:09 AM »
Hangman,

What you are saying is a bit misleading because the latex version of 123 will not technically 'seal off any remaining residue'.   If there is residue, there is potential for it to eat through any water based coating that is not Gardz. 

OK..........I'm getting killed over the 123 comment. You are correct to say that technically there is potential for paste to eat through latex sealer, especially if the wall was not thoroughly cleaned. I would say that clay based paste is the worst for this problem. Zinsser recommends Gardz as a waterbased sealer for this problem and I agree that other than an oil based primer like Cover Stain that is the best thing to use. I was commenting on my personal experience and satisfaction using 123, after removing all paste and thoroughly cleaning the wall. Thanks for letting me in on the conversation. 

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 06:37:41 PM »
I agree with Carl

Hangman says

"Once you have cleaned as much of the paste residue as possible (glue is used for wood, not wallpaper : ) "

Thank you for that quote ;D,I have been trying to get that point across for ever. ::)

I love semantics.  :)  "Glue" is a general term that by definition includes the word "Paste" so it is not entirely incorrect to refer to wallpaper paste as "glue" ... but it may not be the most professional practice..  ;D
Thanks for pointing it out Hangman..
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything