Author Topic: Painting Firebrick  (Read 15054 times)

Offline Hangman

Painting Firebrick
« on: February 23, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
I have a customer that wants me to paint the inside of the fireplace black. They have gas logs. Does anyone have experience with a good product to use? Any do's and dont's? Thanks.........Hangman
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re: Painting Firebrick
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 11:07:02 PM »
Use a paint that is made for fireplaces or grills. (high heat) The smell will be bad. JMHO, brush it don't use a spray can.This should be painted in the off season for using gas logs. Is very flamable until cured. When the logs are used the first time let the  client know that it will have a strong odor at first. It should go away soon after the logs at lite.

Lynjo
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 11:09:01 PM by Lynjowoman »
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline VJ1

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 09:37:37 PM »
Benjamin Moore Industrial Maintenance Coatings, M64 Silicone Akyd High Heat Coating. It is an aluminium paste based alkyd which is formulated for kilns, incinerators etc. for heat resistance up to 800 degrees. M64-80 is the product code for black. Use it as a primer and finish coat and apply two or three thin coats instead of one or two heavy and follow recoat time carefully. Can be ordered from any BM retailer. Get a copy of the TDS and read carefully before application.
Good Luck,
Vandi.

Offline Hangman

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 04:18:38 PM »
I put the M64-80 on the firebrick today. I used a brush and it spread and levelled out well. The brick was a light color and the black covered good in 1 coat. I did put a 2nd coat on about 4 hrs later. The odor wasn't any worse than an industrial enamel. Thanks for the tip VJ.........
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline VJ1

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:17:11 AM »
You're welcome, glad we could help.

Offline saxpoet

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
Where can I get M64?   I've googled it, and can't even find it on the Benjamin Moore website

Offline Carriejebu

Painting Firebrick
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 03:38:18 PM »
Let's return to a theme
I'm using the auto trading system for reliable trading

anything