Author Topic: NOTICE New EPA Rules April 22, 2010  (Read 121141 times)

Offline admin

• Administrator
  • Flying this Spruce Goose
    • painterforum
NOTICE New EPA Rules April 22, 2010
« on: February 25, 2010, 10:27:37 PM »
The EPA Renovation, Repair and Painting Rule (RRP) takes affect on April 22, 2010. Unlike many other less substantial regulations, this Rule will bring major changes in the way painting contractors and renovators are able to conduct business in the USA.
For the purpose of painting under the RRP Rule ANY residential home constructed before 1978 automatically falls under the Rule, the home Does Not have to be tested for lead paint and Does Not require that lead paint be present.  

For painting pre 1978 homes interior or exterior RRP requires:
One person that is always on site or readily available to be Trained and Certified in lead safe work procedures.
Formal written Documentation and record keeping by the Certified person pertaining to Home owner notice, proper setup, proper work procedure, and proper cleanup of the work site.

This one has Teeth:
Failure to comply with the RRP Rule can result in a fine of $37,500.00 per day per violation.
False or misleading documentation by the Certified job supervisor can result in criminal felony charges.

The only safe way to be excluded from the Rule is to have the home tested for lead paint by an EPA certified and approved lead tester, the cost of these tests could total more than the entire painting contract.

Training requires an approx.8 hour course in lead safe work procedures and certification approval by the EPA. After submitting training verification, the EPA may take up to 90 days to issue your certification approval. You will be responsible for training costs and the EPA certification fee.

Here is the link to the EPA Rule for contractors
http://www.epa.gov/lead/pubs/renovation.htm#contractors

Here is the link to the Realtor.org video about the new rules
http://www.realtor.org/government_affairs/lead_paint_property_managers

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 08:31:23 PM by admin »
I am a webmaster in the tradition of Howard Hughes, I fly this Spruce Goose of a website through cyberspace by the seat of my pants and I usually manage to keep her just above the water, but every now and then I get a wet ass. Let me know if you feel a shudder.

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
Re: New EPA Rules
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 10:56:37 PM »
The one thing I wonder is for those painting contractors that do not read this website or any painting website, how are they going to know that this 'rule' even exists?

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2010, 07:28:00 AM »
It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

Took the course, ordered a hepa vac, getting ready to work over 6 mil poly... oh boy.

Most my work is the "target" age.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2010, 08:25:55 AM »
The one thing I wonder is for those painting contractors that do not read this website or any painting website, how are they going to know that this 'rule' even exists?

A favorite quote drilled into me incessantly during my school days;

Ignorance is no excuse...

This is bad law, period. It is designed to acquire money and expand power of government.

...It is also, by design IMO, to eliminate competition and allow the "big boys" to monopolize the industry.

Ultimately I believe it will not stand the scrutiny of the Constitution (10th Amendment)...

Defiance will be widespread and the government will NOT be the good guy in all this, regardless how goody-two-shoes they make themselves out to be.

CALL YOUR CONGRESSMAN

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 08:47:55 PM »
We already have clients that are having a fit over the new law. Trying hard to complete one now before the law kicks in. Most of our work is in newer homes, but have a few really good clients that have completely remodeled their homes from top to bottom, inside & out, but will still fall in the new law category because the home was built in the 60's. It seems this new law does not take in to account when a house has been remodeled, it only cares about the birth date. All windows & doors have been torn out & replaced with modern design, all walls & trim have been torn out & replaced . The house was completely gutted. Even the floors were replaced with solid black walnut. No lead in this house at all.  :o
There needs to be an exclusion for remodeled homes, but there are none.
These attorneys may have a field day with this one.

BJ how much did the course cost you, if you don't mind telling us.

Carl, most of us were blind sided with this new law. No one has been informed by mail, paint stores or any other manner. Many are not prepared for this move. Waiting for the Sh** to hit the fan around here. My brothers are big building  contractors & had no idea this law was out there until I called them yesterday. They are usually on their toes with the new rules, codes, etc. It is going to hurt a lot of people. In this bad economy right now it is a very bad time for such a law.

Lynjo

"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline VJ1

• PRODUCT REP.
Re: NOTICE New EPA Rules April 22, 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2010, 09:55:35 PM »
I'm scheduled for the class next week to be certified. One of the schools on S. Fl is $550. I'm getting it for $275 through the PDCA. Unfortunately I have to do this too for enforcement purposes.

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 12:00:04 AM »
BJ how much did the course cost you, if you don't mind telling us.

IN Oregon, the classes are going for $200.  I learned about them at a SW store.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2010, 01:47:14 AM »
A local paint chain sponsored  the one I went to and reduced it to $190. After you pass the class you still have to pay the gov $300 to be certified.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2010, 07:26:32 AM »
There are things that really bug me about this rule.

#1, if it is so well thought out and organized that it can be inflicted on the public, then like Lynjo said, why should it apply to a house that though built pre-1978, had been completely remodelled since? My two main clients live in exactly that, one of which, built in 1962, has been rebuilt and added onto and remodelled countless times in just the last twenty years, much less the twenty before that.

This alone lays bear what I can easily see as the true nature of this bad rule; It is a Chicago-style gub'ment ripoff scam.

#2, where is the manpower going to come from to enforce this rule? Bureacrasies are by definition deaf dumb and blind to all but doctrine, but they have to know the scope of the industry they are planning to scam. Sure the EPA is a large bureacrasy, but they are spread pretty thin, what with protecting snail darters and owls and starving farmers in CA for an endangered ameoba...

I have been told that, like asbestos and certain molds, strict regulation is imperative at this time, lest we start losing our children...

I'm sorry, I didn't know that lead in paint ripened with age. I didn't know that kids are now that much more prone to gnawing on window sills and licking the paint chips off the playground equipment then they were 40 YEARS AGO.

I am angry about this. My "representative" in Washington has not yet returned my calls, but I am assured by some staff goon (whose salary I'm also paying) that there is absolutely nothing that can be done. I called him a liar and you can imagine the direction the conversation went after that.

Offline Jake

• postingpro
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2010, 11:06:32 AM »
The shitstorm that's on it's way for our country is going to be unbelievable.

Does the phrase "bread and circuses" mean anything to you guys?

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/02/26/cnn-poll-majority-says-government-a-threat-to-citizens-rights/?fbid=_0Et2lHY9CJ

CNN Poll: Majority says government a threat to citizens' rights
Posted: February 26th, 2010 09:00 AM ET

From CNN Deputy Political Director Paul Steinhauser

Fifty-six percent of Americans say the government poses an immediate threat to individual rights and freedoms.
Washington (CNN) – A majority of Americans think the federal government poses a threat to rights of Americans, according to a new national poll.

Fifty-six percent of people questioned in a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey released Friday say they think the federal government's become so large and powerful that it poses an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary citizens. Forty-four percent of those polled disagree.

The survey indicates a partisan divide on the question: only 37 percent of Democrats, 63 percent of Independents and nearly 7 in 10 Republicans say the federal government poses a threat to the rights of Americans.

According to CNN poll numbers released Sunday, Americans overwhelmingly think that the U.S. government is broken - though the public overwhelmingly holds out hope that what's broken can be fixed.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll was conducted February 12-15, with 1,023 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points for the overall survey.

Filed under: 2010 • CNN Polls • Popular Posts

The only thing that separates Paint from Pain... Is a t.

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2010, 11:22:22 AM »
I grow up in the era where all there was was lead paint. Yea teething babies gnawed on the top rails of the cribs to get relief . Hey I survived & so did my 5 brothers & sisters. Our cribs were hand made by my Grandfather. After six kids the top was in rough shape.  ;D

Lynjo
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline LJ

• less work, more family, friends, fun....
    • LJ Custom Painting
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
A local paint chain sponsored  the one I went to and reduced it to $190. After you pass the class you still have to pay the gov $300 to be certified.
Not $550?

• Initial renovation firm certification--$300
• Combined lead-based paint activities and renovation firm certification--$550

So as painters, we need the $300 certification?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 11:46:44 AM »
What is amazing to me is their claim that compliance will only add $65.00 to a painting contract..  :o  Good luck with that one..  :-\

LJ YES, the $300 is simply a fee paid to the EPA for final approval after your training.. I am not sure what the "Combined" package is...could be included in that ... Dunno ..  :-\
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 11:53:32 AM »
I just can't visualize the enforcement part. I feel like I'm reading the law incorrectly because I just can't believe that the government would really fine a one man painter making $60K per year or less $37,500 for violating a law he didn't even know existed.

They can't do that...they just can't.  That would make the news and piss off way too many people directly.   What am I missing?

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2010, 12:05:22 PM »
I'm just waiting for the scammers to start calling offering a good deal on the class & ripe unknowing people off. You know they are going to be out there.

Lynjo
Charlotte Whitton