Author Topic: Sizing up job.  (Read 8540 times)

Offline Brians Painting

• Pro Painters
  • I'm a llama!
Sizing up job.
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:49:26 PM »
I recently had a 2 different painting companys in to give me a bid on my 3 bedroom 1 1/2 bath townhouse they all came in with a measuring wheel & measured off the sq. ft of the house. Wrote a note on all doors, windows. My question is how does the floor sq. ft equal the wall & ceiling Sq.Ft ? I asked a cpl of questions but not to enthusiastic to talk. They just said we have an equation to go by????? What is that all about? What is the going hourly rate for painters in the northeast (Delaware) I don't want to hurt myself. or the market at the same time. (so i'am told)

Offline Lynjowoman

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • Sometimes the best man for the job.. is a Woman.
Re:Sizing up job.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 09:11:10 PM »
hey brian,

just divide the bid that you received by the sq. ft. (floor space) of your home and you will have their equation.
Before you can bid a job and make money you need to know how much labor ( time ) and material it will take for each task. Overhead cost must also be taken into consideration.
Remember that a bid contract is a firm price agreed upon by both parties, so if the job is more involved or goes much longer than you expected, well ..you lose! ???
You cant lose with a time & material + profit contract. Time=labor/Material=material+?%handling /Profit=?% of each draw. Handling can be form 10%- 30%.Profit can be from 20% - 50% or more.
Check around to see what the painting market is paying in your area. The local paint store is a good place to start

Good Luck :)
Lynjowoman propainter
"Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult."
Charlotte Whitton

Offline Jim_Wolcott

• Hello from Evansville,IN.47711
    • American Coating Systems
Re:Sizing up job.
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 01:28:24 PM »
:) We gotta stop meeting like this,lol? The Floor and Ceiling
square footage should be the same{square room,floor,ceiling etc.}

Walls are 8' Height x 15' Width = 120 sq. ft. {or ,let you do it lol}?

Ceilingslength x width,etc.?

I'll send you a bill statement, lol.
James L.Wolcott
American Coating Systems
Jim61825@hotmail.com

http://in.local.yahoo.biz/americancoatingsystems/