Author Topic: Exterior Stains  (Read 23329 times)

Offline Maxson Painting

• maxsonpainting.com
Exterior Stains
« on: April 05, 2010, 08:26:47 AM »
I am not a fan of exterior semi transparent stains to start with but sometimes it's a must.  What do you folks like best?
Sikkens
Cabot
Flood
F&P
Other ________________

Offline player60

Re: Exterior Stains
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 09:11:56 PM »
sikkens

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 07:26:59 PM »
FandP.  Tried flood last summer, the jury is still out, I'll look at the jobs in couple weeks. 

Offline Hangman

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 08:03:32 PM »
I used to use Flood but have had good results the past couple of years with with Sherwin Williams semi transparent. It has good color but still lets the grain show through............
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 06:25:56 AM »
When I lived in AZ I used a lot of Okon products, as they seemed to produce a more durable end product outside in the extreme conditions of the desert. Now that I think about it, I remember Okon being as high-maintenance as anything else.

There is no superior exterior stain, IMO. There are many degrees of "Headache Quotient" to the many products out there, and I've found that the most expensive are also the most labor intensive. Outside being what outside is, the inevitability of product failure because of it, the most important aspect, to me then. is that Headache Quotient.

I've heard contractors brag that their Sikkens work NEVER fails. I've NEVER seen one that hadn't.

I've used Cabot one time, and had to re-apply only a few months later. I'm not sure I can blame the product, as the customer was a true idiot.

The Flood and S&P products are kind of varied and many, you might be more specific.

I do like Penofin (Blue Label--The original formula). Not because it lasts longer or is cheaper, as it is neither. But it is easy to apply, penetrates like virtually no product out there, and IMO is the easiest to maintain and reapply...

ALL exterior stains and coatings have different different formulas and different "rules" for application and maintenance. Some require quite the dog & pony show to satisfy warranty issues, and some of them inscrupulously use the finest print I've ever seen on the side of a can to dictate terms of maintenance and warranty. I do not trust those products.

Offline davethepainter

• DRJ Painting in Sydney
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 06:58:29 AM »
Not a big fan either, but I have used Flood before

Offline stewartlaura67

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »
There are many stains available for exterior but I have used Storm system stain and I found it really good.

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 05:44:27 AM »
Go for Sikkens.
John Reider Properties

anything