Author Topic: Spraying metal outdoor furniture  (Read 3709 times)

Offline misha

Spraying metal outdoor furniture
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:16:20 PM »
Hello ! I got to spray some metal outdoor furniture - tables and chairs - and trying to choose between old trusted industrial enamels - oil and newer DTM paint . which one do you think will stay on longer ?  This is the only forum out of millons on the net that actually helps people .

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Spraying metal outdoor furniture
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »
Hi Misha,

We have sprayed a lot of outdoor metal furniture. If it is rusty we apply a rust converter (Ospho) or use a rusty metal (zinc) primer then paint with an alkyd (oil) industrial enamel. The alkyd can be put back into service pretty quickly, latex acrylics require a cure time ( 7-14 days ) ... and they always seem a bit "soft" to me.
JMHO..  ;)

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline misha

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:47 PM »
Thanks rmichael .Your advise worked like a charm , I ' m old school - used to mix own paint out of chalk , wood glue and soap water - plus the colors . it used to take 3 guys to do one wall - 2 cutting in - one rolls at the same time or it would dry spotty . that was 1976 in old country - Russia before tha latex paint arrived . anyway ,I am working in md dc area about 30 years now . Thanks again Mike .

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:12:25 PM »
Thanks rmichael .Your advise worked like a charm , I ' m old school - used to mix own paint out of chalk , wood glue and soap water - plus the colors . it used to take 3 guys to do one wall - 2 cutting in - one rolls at the same time or it would dry spotty . that was 1976 in old country - Russia before tha latex paint arrived . anyway ,I am working in md dc area about 30 years now . Thanks again Mike .

WOW that is old school ... Sounds like a lot of work .. I am impressed and curious. Did the finish hold up?
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything