Author Topic: paint trays  (Read 11218 times)

Offline Painters Plus

• Quality first then speed!!
paint trays
« on: April 01, 2006, 05:17:26 PM »
Do all you painters use throw away paint tray liners or do you use a 5 gallon bucket with a roller screen and why?

the PAINTSMITH

Re:paint trays
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 05:46:42 PM »
Bucket...Just because it's what I use, always have...Trays are....risky...A roller grid (screen) gives me more control over paint saturation in the skin...

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
  • Can I paint latex over oil? Sheeeeesh..YES!
    • Legends Distribution LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 06:40:55 PM »
I use both. Depends on the job. If I'm painting a 200 sf room, a tray is all I need. A gallon of paint in a 2 gal bucket works for that, but I prefer a heavy duty tray in those small areas.

Some guys use a bucket because they "think" it's the professional way to paint. The professional way to paint is reflected on the wall, not in the bucket. :)

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 10:05:45 PM »
Yeah, I can get the sleeve saturated and loaded up the way I like it much easier out of a bucket, but I will still use the tray for one gallon jobs like powder rooms.  

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:53:54 PM »
Trays are the most unhandy device ever designed for painting. Never hold enough paint, unhandy to move, and they have a way of finding somebody's foot.
Stay with a five gal. bucket and a screen, holds as much paint as you need, much safer, easier to move, and easier to roll out the cover.
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 09:07:59 AM »
A good cartoon would be a painter in a 4X5 bathroom, dipping a roller in a 5 gallon bucket, and rolling with an extension handle.

Michael
When asked, "what do you do for a living?" I reply, "I market the world's best windows and doors."

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »
A better one would be a painter in a 4x5 bathroom with his foot or knee in a paint tray...  :) A five really does not take up any more floor space than a tray.
If it is really that tight.Just set the five right outside the door..  ::)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2006, 10:01:25 AM by rmichael »

Offline brushworks

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 03:34:01 PM »
Why not just use the sink basin to hold the paint in a small bathroom? :)

Michael

Offline Fat Tony

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 05:02:09 AM »
This may seem like a stupid question but im going to ask anyway, Does anyone put a plastic bag or anything in a 5 gal bucket to keep the bucket clean from dried paint ? I usually clean the bucket at the end of the day but this last time i got caught up with something else and the paint dried and i dont feel like peeling it out and i hate to throw them out cause its $4 wasted for nothing.  Any way to get the dried paint out besides scraping it ?  ;D

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 10:36:47 AM »
You can buy formed 5 gal. liners but they run about 4 bucks.  :-\
I know guys that use plastic trash bags as liners, just twist tie at the end of the day.... I just never liked the feel of it.. :)

If you have more painting the next day... a common practice is to drop the screen into the paint, hook the roller on the edge of the screen.... pop the bung hole in the 5 lid and stick the roller handle through the hole, seal down the lid and stuff a rag around the hole.

When you are finished with the set up pour a few gallons of water in the five, drop the roller and screen and lid it until you can do a through clean up...  ;)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2006, 10:38:14 AM by rmichael »

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 02:32:23 PM »

If you have more painting the next day... a common practice is to drop the screen into the paint, hook the roller on the edge of the screen.... pop the bung hole in the 5 lid and stick the roller handle through the hole, seal down the lid and stuff a rag around the hole.

When you are finished with the set up pour a few gallons of water in the five, drop the roller and screen and lid it until you can do a through clean up...  ;)

You been following me around? ;)

Offline CarlThePainter

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2006, 06:32:44 PM »
What you need to do is get yourself some new construction jobs...then you will never run out of buckets and you will certainly never need to buy one.  I am really to the point now that when I do have a prime for a new build, I'll throw 15 empty buckets away.  Man, I wish I could sell those for 4 bucks a piece....   My first employer that I worked for cleaned and saved all his buckets thinking that one day he would be able to sell them or something....he never could find anybody to buy them, and I always had to chuckle when I saw the stacks of thousands of buckets he had collected over the years....what a waste of space.  Point is, I bet if you looked around even a little bit, you could find some buckets for free on some jobsites.  

I have this great tool for cleaning buckets....it's some kind of rough scrubby thing with a handle.  Also, the green scrubby pads work good for cleaning dried paint off of anything or even SOS type pads work well.  Of course, if you fill the bucket up with some water overnight, the paint will be softer and much easier to remove the next day.  

Offline Fat Tony

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 04:34:26 AM »
Thanks Carl, sounds like a good idea. Plenty of construction going on around here so i guess i will see what i can pick up, although with my luck i will get pinched for tresspassing or some such stuff. lol

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 06:24:57 AM »
The company I apprenticed with in Wyoming many years ago used to hire high school kids to come in after school to clean fives, which promptly went up for resale (you don't think you aren't paying for that bucket when you buy the paint?) in the company's retail store.

I did an elastomeric job last summer on a large precast building at a community college...I have a garage full of clean fives...

Offline Paintho

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 07:07:05 AM »
After some looking on the internet I see what you call a bucket roller tray or grids. Is there any type which you recommend. I have never seen the big ones here in Australia.

anything