Author Topic: More tough material  (Read 28380 times)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
More tough material
« on: June 25, 2010, 05:55:23 PM »
So, I haven't been posting much because I hooked up with a new designer last December and she is been keeping me very busy. This is a good thing, but the problem is one of her favorite materials to spec is some very thick, heavy, tough vinyl. I posted about it here:

http://www.painterforum.com/yabbse/index.php/topic,2277.0.html

I am more familiar with it now, so I charge big to install it. It still kicks my a55 though.

Here it is again, I installed it on a 17' high accent wall at the home of an ex-wife of one of the StL Cardinals. Apparently she got most of the money, and the house.  ;D

Had to rig up a 6' baker scaffold to reach the area. OSHA approved?

Then stuck an 8' stepper on top of that. Still OSHA approved? Not sure, but my knees were knocking all day and it took about 8 beers later to "unpucker."

This stuff is so heavy when pasted that I had to unfurl it very gently because if it shifted, it could have bucked me right off the ladder.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: More tough material
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2010, 05:56:20 PM »
The finished wall:

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 05:58:30 PM »
The seams are a major hassle to cut. It is like trying to do a successful double-cut through 2 layers of carpet. My blade finger was raw, and my propane torch got a work out too. Some close-ups of a seam:

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 04:55:58 AM »
Apparently she got most of the money, and the house.

Yea, life for her is a bi%ch, she still ended up with more than both of us combined will ever earn in our lifetime and then some.

Seams? what seams?

Nice ;D

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 08:20:18 AM »
Looks like a pain but I like the way it looks.
  I have pipe frame "bakers"....the lightweight pipe staging, 30 in wide, that take standard 7 ft decks. Stacks nice. Have 2, 6 ft frames and one 5 ft, jack screws for those 2x4 replacements and outriggers. Safety rails too. Lets me work up to about 25 feet easy. Almost have to have it for new home foyers!

the PAINTSMITH

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 09:00:03 AM »
OSHA approved?

Not sure, but my knees were knocking all day and it took about 8 beers later to "unpucker."

I've done the ladderonascaffold trick many many times. You never get used to it.

Go to the OSHA website, they'll tell you that NOTHING is approved. They have a habit of making up their own rules as they go, the printed stuff just a clever diversion.

Did you determine the acoustic effects of that material? I'm at the point in my recording studio where acoustic treatments are being considered. Auralex is great, but they are WAY too proud of their foam panels...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 09:03:58 AM by the PAINTSMITH »

Offline jdmccann

• Right first things first... lets get the kettle on
    • MyProFinish
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 03:15:08 PM »
That chequers pattern again I love...  so this is the same stuff you used at the Hamptons job??  And its vinyl you say?  Lincrusta do a covering identical.  Dunno the difference over their costwise but I imagine it'd be easier to hang.  Not to say you haven't done a good job... I'm as impressed as ever!

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 04:11:50 PM »
Looks good my brother.  I wish I knew how to install that stuff.  Are you giving lessons? lol

Straight Edge Painting LLC
Home Painter

Offline Aaronbar

• Expert advisor
More tough material
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 06:53:50 PM »
Also that we would do without your magnificent phrase
I'm using auto trading robot for successful investment

Offline RichardParker

• Pretty much a do it myself kinda guy
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 01:18:03 AM »