Author Topic: Gardz or 123  (Read 12716 times)

Offline Hangman

Gardz or 123
« on: August 19, 2010, 09:09:53 AM »
I'm going to do some wallpaper work in an old house with plaster walls. They have been repaired with sheetrock mud in quite a few areas. The existing paint has a sheen, probably an eggshell. My standard procedure would be to prime with Bullseye123 to prep for the wp installation. I've been using Gardz  more frequently on drywall repair work and over flat paint (thanks to the advice of some of the pro's here). I have good results with Gardz over porous walls, but I've never used it over plaster or shiny paint. Any feedback will be appreciated! :)
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline mistcoat

• Before & After Painting Company
Re: Gardz or 123
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:00:45 PM »
IMO, I have found it good on plaster or ''shiny paint''. Plaster is porous so that is a bonus  ;)
I'm in the UK and most of our walls are plaster or in new builds, at least a skim coat of plaster over plasterboard (drywall).

I love the Gardz thanks to PWG.
Happy Days!!!

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:42:24 PM »
Before getting turned on to Gardz I would use 123. The advantage of Gardz is that it can be hung over really quickly-  as explained by Pro Wall about the paste not rewetting  or softening the primer.
 The downside is that it has no pigment, so harder to see any imperfections that need to be dealt with .
 I sometimes add them together to get a bit of both worlds, better if you can wait a bit before hanging over, just in case.
 Both will adhere to the plaster just fine.
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
Depending on the sheen of the old paint, I might scuff them first. But would prime with Gardz anyway.

Vin

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »
Hmmm i wonder if you can use the guardz over the top of wall paper and then texture over that rather then use the oil base method ?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 08:56:33 PM »
Hmmm i wonder if you can use the guardz over the top of wall paper and then texture over that rather then use the oil base method ?

Strip the paper Vin....  :D
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Hangman

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 02:57:33 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys. I switched from Shieldz to 123 many years ago because of the quick drying time of the 123. I think Gardz recommends a 3 hr dry time, which  is ok on this job. The main advantage I have seen with Gardz is the penetration and bond to the sheetrock mud. I wasn't sure about the bond to glossy type paint. (Scuff sanding is always good advice)
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 05:02:55 AM »

You got that right ;D

Vin

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »

Grrrrrrr... ok my buddy just did one and they left the paper and went over it with guardz but it sounded like the paper and it was vinyl swelled up but after it cured everything went back down, i'm sticking to the tired and true method of using oil base and I almost always texture over and never once had trouble doing it that way. Sorry for the disruption i'll leave now  :'(

;D