Author Topic: Crisis?? Was I right to tell the painter to leave?  (Read 5748 times)

Offline acmebabyco

Crisis?? Was I right to tell the painter to leave?
« on: October 21, 2010, 08:58:55 PM »
About 2(+) weeks ago I hired this guy to restore/paint my house. He was to bring it down to the wood and even replace a few pieces of siding. He had a crew of 6 working on it 6+ days a week for over 2 weeks. Things got worse and worse, from obviously not removing the old glazing or trim and siding paint, to eventually rolling out the trim. Oh, it gets MUCH more ugly, but believe it or not, I am wondering if that is not my real Issue....

My husband just got deployed to the Middle East for six months, so I am having to handle this all myself (as well as raise our 7 yo daughter), including remove the masking, prep the bare spots that were left, and finish painting the front of the house. Wait, that isn't my real problem either. Upon going out to get materials, and thus asking questions about primer and all (no, of course he didn't leave me anything), I am told that you have to make sure the exterior is BONE DRY before you put on an oil-based primer or it will rot the wood. They used oil-based primer. It is October in the Northwest here.... How bad is this?

Also, it was pretty moist/foggy when they painted the body, and there are "weeping" areas all over, which don't seem to be going away.

I contacted one painter friend who said you simply don't do exteriors here this time of year.

How bad of shape am I in? Anyone???

Offline cecerestephen

• C W Painting Contractors Inc.
Re: Crisis?? Was I right to tell the painter to leave?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 07:46:17 AM »
Problem is not time of the year. Obviously you've had experience with amateurs. But don't worry... you are not the only one. :)
C W Painting Contractors Inc.
4503 Old Spanish Trail Jacksonville, FL
9046727888FAX
C W Painting Contractors Inc. offers commercial painting at affordable prices.
Painting, Painting Contractor, Commercial Painting, Parking Lot Striping, Painter

Offline Straight Edge Painting

Re: Crisis?? Was I right to tell the painter to leave?
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 07:44:39 AM »
If your painter is not living up to your standards then you hired the wrong guy...

Straight Edge Painting LLC
painting atlantic beach fl