Author Topic: Help Chalky Exterior Paint on Stucco Florida House  (Read 6916 times)

Offline GrandMaPainter

Help Chalky Exterior Paint on Stucco Florida House
« on: April 27, 2015, 07:08:11 PM »
I need good product advice. I have to paint my house exterior by myself. I am female, will be 70 years old soon and husband is too sick to help. I am prepping and painting one side at a time. After pressure washing the old paint is still chalky. It is chalky all the way to the stucco. I can't pressure wash all the paint completely off this house. I need a penetrating primer to penetrate the chalk to the stucco surface. Location is South West Florida.  I have to get this done before it gets too hot and rainy, and the rainy hot season is just around the corner.  Please help me with a penetrating primer suggestion. I already screwed up one side that hubby insisted I just pressure wash and paint over. It will be peeling off before a year is over. I am using is Glidden High Endurance Plus Paint and Primer in One - Flat Finish - for the finish coat. I am rolling it. I am cutting in the 23 ft eves with a Wooten adjustable roller frame on a pole and doing an outstanding job with the edge. The paint is going to peel right off this house if I don't get a penetrating primer on it. I used to work for Brod Dugan St Louis small paint mfg and local chain retailer. They are out of business and I have no one to ask but the paint and big box stores. I am getting too much advice I don't trust from the local stores. Hoping someone is around to help. 

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Help Chalky Exterior Paint on Stucco Florida House
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 09:26:48 PM »
A "Primer and Paint in one" will not do the job off a true primer coat.
I would NOT recommend an oil primer over stucco with an acrylic top coat.  I would use Zinsser 123 acrylic primer/sealer before applying the top coat. You should get great results.

Best Luck,
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

anything