Author Topic: 2 in 1 Behr Premium Plus over wood trim  (Read 7131 times)

Offline msedward43

2 in 1 Behr Premium Plus over wood trim
« on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:12 AM »
I have a stupid question. I had a set of double doors installed the other day and I went out to grab gallon of paint at Home Depot to paint the frame semi gloss white. I noticed on my way home that I had picked up the Behr premium plus 2 in 1 paint/primer combo and thought "hey, no need to prime". so I painted the 1st 2 coats (was going to do three since I'm not stupid enough to think that the first coat isn't going to act as a primer coat in terms of coverage anyways) and then I noticed a bit of chatter when I googled that the 2 in 1 was a marketing gimmick really. Now I'm a little worried that I should just spend the next two days sanding the whole frame back down to the bare wood and prime again ... it wasn't clear from what I gathered if the 2 in 1 would stick to bare wood. most people were griping and complaining about it not covering as much. I have no qualms about it not covering as much and using 3 coats... I wouldn't use a whole gallon on the trim anyways... but I couldn't ascertain from the complaints that it would be a major no no in terms of ADHESION to the originally unpainted wood trim.. will I be fine with three coats of the Behr Premium Plus or should I sand this sucker down and take my licks ??

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: 2 in 1 Behr Premium Plus over wood trim
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »
I have a stupid question. I had a set of double doors installed the other day and I went out to grab gallon of paint at Home Depot to paint the frame semi gloss white. I noticed on my way home that I had picked up the Behr premium plus 2 in 1 paint/primer combo and thought "hey, no need to prime". so I painted the 1st 2 coats (was going to do three since I'm not stupid enough to think that the first coat isn't going to act as a primer coat in terms of coverage anyways) and then I noticed a bit of chatter when I googled that the 2 in 1 was a marketing gimmick really. Now I'm a little worried that I should just spend the next two days sanding the whole frame back down to the bare wood and prime again ... it wasn't clear from what I gathered if the 2 in 1 would stick to bare wood. most people were griping and complaining about it not covering as much. I have no qualms about it not covering as much and using 3 coats... I wouldn't use a whole gallon on the trim anyways... but I couldn't ascertain from the complaints that it would be a major no no in terms of ADHESION to the originally unpainted wood trim.. will I be fine with three coats of the Behr Premium Plus or should I sand this sucker down and take my licks ??
welcome....you should be fine....1st coat probably wicked into the wood a bit and the second of course is the same material so compatibility isnt a problem......third coat should be done and then it will take a week to a month depending on climate conditions to fully harden......good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2015, 05:03:48 PM »
1st coat probably wicked into the wood

personally, I would not go for PROBABLY

Offline msedward43

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 11:13:35 PM »
welcome....you should be fine....1st coat probably wicked into the wood a bit and the second of course is the same material so compatibility isnt a problem......third coat should be done and then it will take a week to a month depending on climate conditions to fully harden......good luck

cool. thanks ... and yeah, it did wick in pretty good. I waited almost 12 hours between coats because of work and when I came home that first coat had really been drawn up into the wood... looked more brown than white :D.. second coat covered nicely though.

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 06:51:07 AM »
Thank you for posting this information!)

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 05:04:12 PM »
Thank you for posting this information!)

We are here to help. :)
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa

anything