Author Topic: Which product for wood ceiling?  (Read 21732 times)

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
Which product for wood ceiling?
« on: February 19, 2008, 05:36:29 PM »
I am not familiar with wood finishing products because I primarily do re-painting.
My customer has just enclosed a portion of their attic as a playroom and had
a wood ceiling installed.  She does not want it stained, just a satin clear finish
to keep the natural wood color. 

I know spraying it would achieve the best results, but I do not spray anything
because I am old fashioned and brush and roll everything.  I know rolling it is out of
the question too.  I plan on just brushing it all, so I am looking for a nice leveling,
fairly slow drying as to not get any drag, satin finish latex product.

Any suggestions?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 05:40:12 PM by Chofman1 »

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Which product for wood ceiling?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »
IMO, a solvent based satin poly would give you the best leveling and an easier application. Assuming the ceiling is tongue and groove, I would brush four or five boards at a time from one wall to the other, cutting the outer board edge clean, then work my way back pulling four or fives boards, being careful not to brush into the completed section.
A white china bristle brush works the best for me when using oil poly...  ;)

Best Luck
rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 06:45:05 PM »
Thanks for the info, but this customer specifically requested a waterborne product.

If you had to choose which would you use and can you add flotrol to poly's or no?

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
Generally, waterborne polyurethane will require multiple coats to achieve the best results, four or more coats to equal the sealing equivalent of two coats of oil poly.

I have found that the best way to make the waterbornes workable is to thin it just a bit (with water). . With the waterborne poly you will have to work faster and pull the boards in sections to avoid "roping". Check out the Minwax waterborne interior poly.

I have never added Floetrol or XIM to a clear coat.....

Offline Fred

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 07:05:25 PM »
The AuquaZAR by Zar is pretty decent, watch out and don't overbrush. Never tried flotrol with it, has a good open time. two coats works out very well.
 Have fun
We don't pick the color, we just put them on......

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 07:11:43 PM »
Pratt and Lambert ( now owned by SW) used to have a great line of clears in oil and waterborne. You might want to check them out also ...  ;)

Offline UUjohn

• postingpro
  • Ancora Imparo
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
when i first stopped using solvent based clear coats and sealers and switched to waterborne, something was missing, especially on unstained woods: knot and grain character.  y'know, the way the color and texture knots and differing grain would have....
so, i asked a few fellow pros here in the puckerbrush who do more wood than i, and they suggested using a wax free shellac as a sealer, and then 3 coats of a high end waterborne such as Ceramithane....
the shellac really did the trick in making knots etc stand out a bit more.. even w/ a matte clear coat my recent waterborne jobs on unstained wood came out real nice w/ the same character i'd get w/ solvent clear coats...
btw, when using the shellac, wear a respirator.. nasty stuff those little Lac beetles ooze out....

anyway... its justa thought... good luck w/ the job, Chofman1

Be Well
"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" (Bertrand Russell)

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:07 PM »
Interesting solution. Usually the request for waterborne as a finish has more to do with the odor than the finish. I find people much more intolerant of the smell , even if it is non toxic, than they care about the out come. So using shellac to begin with is stinky, but it does dissipate fast, and can be recoated quickly, sealing off the smell.

Waterbornes are harder to work with, but using the shellac as a sealed base I'm sure makes it easier.

Hmm....
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »
There is a waterborne shellac on the market. Also I have had good results from Stays Clear by BM.

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/targetcoatings.htm
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 10:25:25 PM by Roadog »

Offline Chofman1

• Hoffmann's Painting
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 09:11:42 AM »
Thanks for all the info.
Shellac is out of the question because the reason for using the waterborne is the odor issue.
She had the same ceiling installed in her kitchen and said it was just a satin latex clear coat,
and she is pleased with the results.  So, I am going to go that route if that makes her happy.
Main question was just which product best for this situation?

My local paint store recommended Fuller O'Brien Penchrome™ Interior Waterborne Clear Finish, Satin.

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 10:39:38 PM »
The link above is a waterbase shellac.

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 10:58:44 PM »
Roadog- interesting about a waterborn shellac- I see it is sold at Rocklers- and i have one close.
Have you used it? report...
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline Roadog

• postingpro
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:28:53 AM »
I have not used it but think I will get some and try it. I use shellac a lot and it would be nice to have it water borne just for clean up!

Offline Desy101

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 05:40:37 AM »
Hello! I'm not an expert in all this yet, but I'm interested in such questions. I esteem your opinions, I think it will come in handy.
192.168.l.l
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:58:36 PM by Desy101 »