Author Topic: Semi-transparant deck stain, one coat or two  (Read 48636 times)

Offline chicken lady

Semi-transparant deck stain, one coat or two
« on: June 18, 2011, 08:11:20 PM »
I'm getting my deck stained.  The painter wants to do two coats for added protection.  The lady at Lowes said the stain is to be applied in a single coat.  I also contacted Olympic and they said the same thing.  I guess the theory is that the second coat will just sit on top of the first one and would be susceptible to peeling.  I talked to the painter, he feels two coats would be better protection.    The painter has been doing a lot of work in our community and I don't think he is recommending two coats to make more money on the labor.  He seems to stay pretty busy.  I don't mind paying for the extra stain and labor, but if there is no need for two coats at this time, I would just as soon add another coat next year.  Any opinions?

the PAINTSMITH

Re: Semi-transparant deck stain, one coat or two
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 10:31:12 AM »
A "one coat" stain is usually formulated to be just that. However...

I have clients who's exterior woodwork gets recoated every year, even with the previous (though oxidized and fading) coat is there. Your painter likely knows the inevitability of failure to the elements and is looking to your best interest.

If you are uncomfortable with two-coating with a one-coat system and your painter refuses to do any less, my suggestion would be to supply him with a two-coat product.

Penofin Blue Label comes to mind...

Luck to you.

Offline chicken lady

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 12:40:46 PM »
I'm not uncomfortable, I just wanted another opinion.  The lady at Lowes was pretty adamant about only applying one coat.  She said the warranty would be void.  I don't care about the warranty, I don't expect any stain to last as long as they say.  Too many variables.

Another question would be, if we do two coats and re-stain in the future, are we staining the wood or just adding stain on top of the other.  When we stained it ourselves last time, I put two coats on the deck boards and the top railing board.  The stain on the deck boards is virtually nonexistent.  I had to sand the top rail to remove the old stain in a lot of places.

The painter started staining yesterday.  I noticed the railing boards that have the new stain have patches that are shiny, places where the old stain was not completely oxidized or sanded.

Offline tntpainting

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 02:46:17 PM »
oil based stains like olympic shouldnt be 2 coated it will leed to bad addhering and cracking of the top coat and will be very glossy and uneven i never 2coat any oil stains

Offline Faron79

• PRODUCT REP.
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:44:02 PM »
Yes, definitely ONE coat of typical S/T stains!!!

IF...IF....IF you apply a 2nd coat-
Wipe off whatever doesn't readily soak in after ~10 min.
Or, guess what....the stain that dries on TOP...WILL peel at some point...soon.

These kinda stain are meant to PENETRATE.
NOT form "2nd-coat" films.

Faron
Hmmmm, people spend $$$$$ on furnishings...
BUT, Oh my God, that paint is $40/gaL!!
It's the most noticeable part of an interior!!

Offline robinspade

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 10:42:43 PM »
The contractor that stained my deck thought it was a bright idea to do one coat of semi-transparent and another coat of water seal.  It looked very nice but if it was wet my deck acted like a slip and slide.  I nearly fell off my deck because it was so slick and it took a long time before it was safe to walk on.  That's the last time I hire inexperienced college students to to home improvement projects.

Offline Nicggdepo

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 06:48:25 AM »
I think that this information is the best.

Offline 101 Paint

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 12:37:02 PM »
I had always heard one coat. However, I recently did a deck with Olympic solid exterior stain.
It was the ...
"Olympic® Maximum® Stain + Sealant in One" Solid Color.
On the back it said two coats. I was rather surprised.

Offline paf9485

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2015, 06:41:57 AM »
ProLuxe by Sikkens makes a product called DEK Finish.  It is a 2 coat system, with the product being designed to adhere to itself.  It is a high-end product (and pricey), but nothing on the market looks as good.  It has a satin finish, looking more like finished trim work you would have in your home.  It looks good for much longer than the average stain.  It is more labor intensive on the front end- they recommend washing and sanding before application.  When it does start to wear it is easier on the prep.  Clean it and recoat, because it is made to stick to itself.  You should be able to get it at any PPG Paints store.

Offline Precision Painting

• Voted Vancouver's #1 Painting Company
    • Vancouver Painters
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2015, 01:20:27 PM »
always 1 coat of paint for oil based stain.
Our business has been servicing Vancouver since 1994. We are dedicated to deliver high quality painting services in the Lower Mainland.

Web: Vancouver Painters

Google+: PrecisionpaintingCa

Offline Desy101

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 05:47:20 AM »
Thank you very much helped, for a long time I was looking for the answer to this question.
192.168.l.l
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 08:59:09 PM by Desy101 »