Author Topic: Opinions on PPG Permanizer Plus and ROGCAD Website  (Read 17803 times)

Offline GreenMtnPainter

Opinions on PPG Permanizer Plus and ROGCAD Website
« on: April 09, 2007, 04:54:04 PM »
I was surfing the web the other day and stumbled upon this painter's website:

http://rogcad.com/painting/contractors/index.htm

His site gives a guide to stripping and restoring old houses, as well as advice on general repaints and coating systems.  The thing that interested me the most is how he has come to rely upon PPG's Permanizer plus as a primary first-coat primer over bare wood (He calls the product a "Clear Polymer", PPG calls it a "Clear Modified Acrylic Urethane").  If you read the page, you'll see what i'm talking about.

Have any of you have used PPG's permanizer plus?   Also I am wondering in general what you all think about this "rogcad" guy, and if his system of PPG Permanizer + Duration as the ultimate paintjob has any legs.

I personally think it sounds great, and I really would like to try it, but it really has to be amazing and long lasting with the prices of those products ($40 for permanizer gallon, $45 for duration gallon)

« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 04:36:30 PM by GreenMtnPainter »

Vin

Re: Opinions on PPG Permanizer Plus and ROGCAD Website
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 01:25:28 AM »
With a lifetime gaurantee I bet the job cost a bundle and thats one heck of a website i've never seen one quite like that, take me a while to read all of that.

Not only does he prime but he uses  clear polymer for conditioning wood prior to priming SHEESH this guys lays down some wet stuff LOL.

He's got more then one website also if you go to his sitemap ....

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 09:23:30 PM »
Yea he definitely lays it down... but if it works it would be worth it!  I am constantly looking for ways to improve the work I do and ways to increase the longevity of my paintjobs, so it is always interesting to find someone with a fresh take on repaints.

on another note:

Another product that seems similar to Permanizer is Mad Dog Primer (See the website http://maddogprimer.com/). What I really want to know is if anyone use these products on a regular basis? I am finding it impossible to find any kind of useful information or reviews of the long-term success of these highly flexible clear pimers.  I want to try some out on some trouble jobs this summer but hesitate to just start slapping an unproven product on my customers' houses.  Any more input would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Tommy Boy

• PRODUCT REP.
    • Peel Bond
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 02:46:39 PM »
Another option to Permanizer and MDP is XIM Peel Bond.  Peel Bond is an acrylic latex primer unlike MDP which is an elastomeric.  Acrylic latex products breathe where elastomerics do not.  Peel Bond can be applied as much as 7 times thicker than Permanizer without sagging.  It has leveling properties and is great for bare wood and checked painted surfaces. Like all of XIM primer/bonders it sticks exceptionally well. As stated before, I work for XIM and will answer any of your questions. PB has been in use for 5 years with great results. XIM has been in business since 1935 and stands behind its products.
"Peel Bond, a different way to paint"

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:16 PM »
Another option to Permanizer and MDP is XIM Peel Bond.  Peel Bond is an acrylic latex primer unlike MDP which is an elastomeric.  Acrylic latex products breathe where elastomerics do not.

"Elastomerics" are relatively new, at least as a term to describe a coating. There is a lot of variability in water vapor permeability in "elastomeric" paint. I would suggest that anyone planning to use an elastomeric paint to ask the paint rep or vendor about the paint's perm rating. The higher the number the better, high end acrylic elastomerics seem to have the highest (elastomeric) vapor permeability rates.

rmichael
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline GreenMtnPainter

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 08:46:56 AM »
I gave PPG's technical support a call and asked a few questions about Permanizer.  Here is the info I got:

-The rep admitted that permanizer is not a high volume seller, which he said is too bad because it really is one of their best priming products, and that people who use it often refer to it as a miracle product. He said its low sales was probably because of the price point ($40 a gallon). 

-He said also that Permanizer will always excel over other oil or acrylic primers on old, checking, cracking, weathered, rough, or otherwise unstable surfaces, but that it offeres no real advantage over other high quality primers when applied over new wood, clean painted surfaces, or otherwise thoroughly sound areas.

-PPG has not done any testing for vapor permeability rates for Permanizer.  Although the rep said it is an acrylic product (not an elastomeric) and that its permeability rate was probably right up there with other acrylic products.

-Theres no stated warranty for Permanizer

Any thoughts?

« Last Edit: April 16, 2007, 02:33:33 PM by GreenMtnPainter »

Offline marktherob2010

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 06:41:55 PM »
Permanizer has been on my windows(new wood and restored wood) for over 5 years with PPG Manor Hall top coat. Honestly it looks like I just put it on except for the dust.

I just did a project with XIM Peel Bond and it looks good and prep was a lot less time will tell.

Mark

Offline woolybear1

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 09:14:20 PM »
I used permanizer plus and duration on an old farmhouse. I don't believe there is a better product on the market. The house looks great after seven years of Iowa weather, no peeling whatsoever. I am generally cheap but, this stuff was well worth the money.

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2011, 02:23:00 PM »
I painted a barn last year and used Permanizer for primmer.  So far still looks great, really sealed down the splinters etc.  The owner built some new doors and used it all all sides before putting the together.  He's been doing wood work for 30 years and was impresssed.

Offline sortapro

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 08:09:54 AM »
bring this threar back to life!
I stumbled on the website he mentioned last weekend and was really interested in the custom mix he gave for his own version of permalizer. He said 2/3 gal of peelbond and 1/3 gal of clear waterbased woodscapes with the water modified urethane, thinned with water for lower viscosity. I use peelbond on most every exterior scrape job and am wondering if this ratio would help absorbtion better than right out of the can peelbond?  Not to say I've had a failure with the product yet, but always looking to build a better mousetrap. At SW i get a gal of peelbond at $25 and the woodscapes at about the same so i figured i could get more product for my buck this way, and use the remaining pb that hasn't been mixed to spray over this base for higher build. I've done some test boards in the back yard and the product hasn't seperated, blistere or shown any signs of incompatability. What i have applied seems to have almost completely soaked into the old weatherd boards and bridged well. 
Any thoughts?