Author Topic: Step vans a.k.a. old bread & potato-chip trucks?  (Read 4856 times)

Offline Barry

• PF Greenhorn
Step vans a.k.a. old bread & potato-chip trucks?
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:57:48 PM »
I can't seem to find a decent cargo van for under 3K so I've found a step van that once was a delivery van, and then a carpenter's truck.  Runs, drives, needs a tuneup and the carb (yes, no fuel injection here) needs some attention.  I've driven it -- it works.  1975 Chevy with aluminum body (for the most part).  Ladder rack on the right side. White and very clean for its age -- cosmetic imperfections (more than a few) will get a visit from the flap-disc sander, sanding block, rag wet with acetone, and a foam roller with RustOleum Pro primer, then several coats of high gloss white 50/50 with min spirits.

Should I be concerned about MPG when most of my work is very local (radius of 20 miles)?  Guy wants sub-$1000 for this van.  Does anyone see downsides that I am not seeing?  I'm seeing a potential mobile billboard canvas plus room for pretty much everything (if I needed it all at once).  Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2011, 01:02:25 AM by Barry »
"Throw your heart over the bar and the body will follow."

Offline dezeldog

Re: Step vans a.k.a. old bread & potato-chip trucks?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »
I got tired of having to load and unload my standard van before, after and during each job. Bought a '88 Grumman Step Van. Excellent move - can fit EVERYTHING in it once shelved out, and the mobile billboard is unbeatable. At 6 mpg it could be the deal breaker, but by sliding the cage door shut and locking it it's virtually a vault so I can take it to the job and park it there for the duration, and use my compact to commute, actually SAVING me gas. Mine's got 5:13 gears in the rear end, but if you get one with 4:11's or better you'll get better mileage.
"The bitterness of poor quality will linger far longer than the sweetness of a low price"

anything