Author Topic: painting vinyl siding?  (Read 4256 times)

Offline rex

painting vinyl siding?
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:02:25 PM »
I have never painted vinyl siding......too afraid of a paint failure due to the lack of adhesion and expansion and contraction. Done tons of aluminum siding over the years, but I know aluminum is a much different material when it comes to  painting. I recently bought a used pre fab garage that is vinyl sided and needs some TLC(paint job) :) to really match it to my house color and make it look decent. Any tips from somebody here who has done it?   I know pressure washing would be the first step, but would an acrylic  bonding primer(STIX or equivalent) be needed? or just a high quality waterborne or acrylic house paint do the trick?

Offline Gracobucks

Re: painting vinyl siding?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 06:52:35 AM »
I know GP sells a paint for vinyl siding called siding re-new. I have never used it but heard good things about it.

Offline sortapro

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:23:53 PM »
SW makes a product called EB Bond by flood.  its supposed to be mixed with the finish paint to make it stick to chalky weathered surfaces, like old aluminum siding.  spray on your first coat really lightly, like you would a primer.  then put the second on one nice and thick to build it up and that should do the trick.

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 03:28:32 PM »
I've never painted vinyl, but from my reading in the past you should not paint the vinyl a color darker than what it presently is because of the absorption of heat.  If it is painted darker than the manufactured color it can compromise the how well the paint hold up.

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 09:36:03 PM »
We have successfully painted vinyl siding on several houses. Make sure the vinyl is clean (power wash) and use a high end acrylic latex paint... you should have no problems but if you need some extra assurance add EB bond to the paint.

Never paint vinyl siding a dark color, the heat absorption will cause major problems ( warping, twisting, and possibly paint film adhesion problems)
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 09:38:49 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline RedPalmed

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2011, 02:47:46 PM »
It's hard to paint vinyl siding because of the way the siding expands/contracts depending on the type of weather. I don't like to paint vinyl siding and I don't often get asked to do it, but when I do, I paint with a high quality latex paint with urethane. D. Berry pointed out that the color should never be darker than the color of the siding. Painting it darker is not a mistake that you want to make.