Author Topic: Dulux Diamond Semigloss - Flush Doors & Floetrol  (Read 1633 times)

Offline maxatlantic

Dulux Diamond Semigloss - Flush Doors & Floetrol
« on: July 10, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »
Want to try Dulux Diamond Semigloss for kitchen cupboards, rather than alkyd melamine, but was concerned about brush marks and general lack of working time. Repainting our bathroom ceiling using Dulux Diamond Eggshell and Floetrol mixed 16:1 was not a success - wet edge did not hold and overlap marks were pretty severe. Had to roll on a second coat to even it out.  I thought I might be OK because the bathroom is only 9' x 6'.

General consensus is that XIM Externder is better to work with than Floetrol, but I have not found a source around here (Halifax, NS). So Floetrol is my only option.

Mixed it in a ratio of 1 part Floetrol to 12 parts Diamond Semigloss, brushed it on three flush doors with these results:

- slightly better open time
- flow is a little better
- no appreciable effect on gloss
- have to work really quickly

More remarkably, the paint still dried well and when sanded 10 hr later it powdered, rather than turning to latex worms. Even with that short drying time it felt harder than the semi-gloss Aura which had previously covered these doors.

Brush was Wooster Jaguar, Ultra Firm, nylon-poly - wow, gorgeous fine filaments.

Assessment thus far: certainly good enough for the inside of the cupboards. Not quite certain about the doors and frames.

So first coat looked good, second coat is drying now. I'll wait for 10 hr or so before final judgement. I still have a litre of B-M Advance (waterborne alkyd) to try- test platform is a small table. It's going to get the full treatment - sand, fill, prime, etc.

How do people get finishes so smooth they claim they "look like sprayed"? Seems like an elusive Grail.

Cheers - Miles

Offline maxatlantic

Re: Dulux Diamond Semigloss - Flush Doors & Floetrol
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:54:11 PM »
UPDATE on the paint:

Two of the doors, 18"  wide, I was able to brush them while they were laid horizontally - look pretty good. Considering a kitchen cupboard is much smaller, this is probably OK.

For the third door, standard flush interior door, the story is not so good. Most of it is OK, but there are parts where there are overlap marks as the brush ran up into already drying paint. I see them, I should probably roll the door - but I'll save the project for a  boring Sunday in February.  (If  I was painting the door for someone else, I'd re-do it. But other things take priority right now.)

So - Dulux Diamond Semigloss, mixed 12:1 with Floetrol - probably OK for the inside of the cupboards. Not yet certain about the exterion, and will decide after trying the B-M Advance.

I also painted a small shelf, same mix, so over the coming week I'll see what it's like for blocking.

Cheers -  Miles

Offline BrushJockey

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 08:57:08 PM »
I don't know that paint, but sometimes a spach of H2o helps too
"It would be ludicrous to think I'm new to this, I know this, this is what I do"  ( Prince and Geo Clinton..)

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 02:46:31 PM »
I have painted entire Kitchens, including cabinets, with Dulux Diamond. It is a very durable paint. My application included adding some XIM extender and it flowed out very well. Coverage (hide) was very good and blocking was minimal.
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline maxatlantic

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 06:40:50 PM »
Thanks guys - wish I could find XIM around here - but no luck thus far. INfact the XIM web site shows dealers only in parts of Ontario and in Western Canada.

I am impressed by the Dulux Diamond - after curing 3~4 days if feels much harder than the BM Aura which had been on for over a years. The Aura has a sort of lush plastic feel to it.

- Miles

Offline madochio

• been in this wayyyyy toooo lonnnnggggg
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
i am sorry anyproduct that needs any extender aside from spraying and faux finishing is worthless..(why you pay to have said product work?)   i have never personal used the diamond myself i have used BM Aura and agree that it seems plasticly as well as SW pro classic (long dry time, weak flim build)  but best advice i can give is two coat of primer...... you should have 217 Underbody primer (it is oil) or Smart primer Zinnser (oil/water) i am old school oil will seal better then any latex on wood period. sand between coats tack the dust and two coats of paint same deal and done

btw good idea to make this forum guys.people,laddies
after 15 years on all side of painting and selling  I have seen eveything this will help folks, so you get my support

anything