Author Topic: Badly painted new internal doors  (Read 5264 times)

Offline Hollyharvey

Badly painted new internal doors
« on: June 25, 2015, 12:37:21 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have had 10 new 4 panel textured doors fitted, and have just had them painted by a painter and decorator.

They came pre-primed, and yesterday he arrived and undercoated them with an oil based undercoat.  When he had left I noticed that around where the door handle attaches to the door he had painted around it without taping it, and had gone against the grain.  He brushed the mouldings and then rolled the rest.  The result was very patchy but I thought he would rub it all down this morning before applying the top coat.

Today he applied a water based satinwood, again brushing the mouldings and rolling the rest (he didn't rub the undercoat down).  The end result is very patchy, with some runs.  I pointed out the really obvious bits when he was here and he went over them, but it really looks poor.

I can't afford to get someone else in to put it right so am going to have to try and sort it myself.

I'm not sure if it is the undercoat showing through a thin water based paint or if it is a problem with the top coat.

I wondered if it is possible to gently try and sand the runs out and where he has gone against the grain of the wood and just touch it up, and then try and live with it, because I don't think I am capable of rubbing down and painting 10 doors myself.

I would be grateful for any advice or suggestions.

Thank you

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Badly painted new internal doors
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2015, 03:12:29 PM »
welcome, new waterbased finishes which are 100% acrylic work well by brush applications if the coats are thin, and i dont mean thinning the paint with water, if the color is pure white or an offwhite you should have a minimum of 3 coats with light sanding if necessary between the final 2 coats, i would have used a oil primer as a first coat to just to add pigment to the surface as the primer coat can be applied thicker and can be sanded well.....of course when applying the primer thicker i would have tipped it off with a brush in the direction of the grain.......on the trim its a roller applied application then immediately tip off the trim with a brush......water based finishes are somewhat harder to tip off because they tend to dry fast..... the order and step to paint a panel door, i.e. panels, styles, mullions, etc is a trade secret...
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything