Author Topic: New Construction- Exterior and Interior Which Paint?  (Read 8304 times)

Offline chomondely

New Construction- Exterior and Interior Which Paint?
« on: July 05, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
New construction, Houston, TX. Humid, hot and very sunny in spots and shaded on other spots.

Most of the house Will be brick. Paint will be for trim on the exterior.
What preparation specifications should I give to the builder to give to the paint contractor? The builder likes SW. What about Duration paint?

Interior- Sheetrock, light color, wood trim.
What preparation specifications should I give to the builder to give to the paint contractor? The builder likes SW. Anything better? If SH then which one?

I know that the cost is in the prep work so I am not worried about the difference in the cost of the  material.
We are concerned about durability and ease of cleaning for the interior.
For the exterior, I am looking for durability  and no mold like I have on my present exterior.

The builder will do whatever I tell him in terms of material and extra specifications. Aftell, its my money.
I want to make sure that he does not leave out a step, thinking that he os saving me a buck.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: New Construction- Exterior and Interior Which Paint?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:38:24 PM »
New construction, Houston, TX. Humid, hot and very sunny in spots and shaded on other spots.

Most of the house Will be brick. Paint will be for trim on the exterior.
What preparation specifications should I give to the builder to give to the paint contractor? The builder likes SW. What about Duration paint?

Interior- Sheetrock, light color, wood trim.
What preparation specifications should I give to the builder to give to the paint contractor? The builder likes SW. Anything better? If SH then which one?

I know that the cost is in the prep work so I am not worried about the difference in the cost of the  material.
For the exterior, I am looking for durability  and no mold like I have on my present exterior.

The builder will do whatever I tell him in terms of material and extra specifications. Aftell, its my money.
I want to make sure that he does not leave out a step, thinking that he os saving me a buck.
Thanks in advance for your help.
welcome....on the exterior regardless of manufacturer, i would specify a wood specific primer with all starter boards and fascia primed on all six sides with a backroll over knots and other areas where the primer wicked in, minimum 24 hrs or maximum 1 week i would apply the finish, fascia boards roller applied all other areas can be sprayed, allow for a checkpoint inwhich you can inspect for completion before proceeding with a second coat of finish...use 100% acrylic exterior eggshell.....maintain by observing sheen, in the most exposed areas after a period of time the sheen will break down to a flat....by observing you have established the higher maintenance areas of your house before the complete breakdown of the finish, when the sheen flattens, apply another coat, which can be applied thinly but by application and not thinning the product...on the interior require the drywall or painting contractor to blade the walls, this smoothens and removes any spitting or ridges that have formed from the texture application, prime the trim with a top of the line multi surface primer, on the drywall prime with flat tinted to the finish color, if smooth texture, primer can be sprayed and first coat of finish can be sprayed , but require a 3rd coat roller applied with no larger than a 3/8 inch nap roller skin. check points can be required here to insuring a complete coat before proceeding, the coating doesnt necessarily have to be uniform in sheen and color during the first 2 coats but after the third is should be uniform....require protection of all surfaces not scheduled for painting and require a uniform finish upon completion....uniform in color and sheen....use 100% acrylic zero VOC eggshell finishes on walls and semigloss 100% acrylic zero voc finish on the trim and established wet areas such as bathrooms laundry etc
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline chomondely

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2015, 08:33:13 AM »
Thanks, I will make sure the builder incorporates these ideas.
Thoughts on brands?

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:14:10 AM »
Thanks, I will make sure the builder incorporates these ideas.
Thoughts on brands?
major manus like  sherwin williams, are fine...they all preform pretty much equal.....the only time I would recommend one from the other is when it comes to sheen, you see everyones eggshell has a different level of gloss...i wish all manus would list products by percentage of gloss on the can or bucket but they dont,...they use terms as flat, matte, satin. low luster, eggshell, etc...sheen is a big thing for me, it makes the difference between a rich warm home and an apartment on skid row...lol

Offline chomondely

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
Thanks for your input.
I'll talk to the paint contractor.
Other thoughts?

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:22:35 AM »

nothing other than on exterior mold issues, exterior paint have a mildicide (sp) in them, thats what differentiates exterior from interior paint, you can bump up the sheen from a satin (sorry most exterior eggshells are referred to as satins correct my previous post to reflect that) to a higher gloss or they sell mildew additives which can bump up the paint performance but at the same time will reduce viscosity or wet mill thickness of the paint....my choice would be bump up the sheen (semi gloss or gloss) identifying higher maintenance areas according to sheen breakdown will remain

the most important thing interior wood, use high quailty multi primer, if they use flat as they are priming the walls especially on things like window sills, or anything exposed to sunlight the paint will breakdown quicker (lose sheen)  make sure high quality multi purpose primer is used

and of course all surfaces, make sure 2 complete coats of finish over primer....this gives optimum performance to the paint, as far as sheen and color uniformity, longevity ( for any future necessary touch ups matching )   good luck and thank you
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 10:31:37 AM by mymint87 »

Offline Johnkhelas33

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 01:10:29 AM »
welcome....on the exterior regardless of manufacturer, i would specify a wood specific primer with all starter boards and fascia primed on all six sides with a backroll over knots and other areas where the primer wicked in, minimum 24 hrs or maximum.