Author Topic: Sanding between tongue-in-groove panels  (Read 6470 times)

Offline Achilleus

Sanding between tongue-in-groove panels
« on: July 06, 2015, 02:12:01 PM »
I've just finished sanding an exterior cedar wall around 30x20', but I want to get the last paint off the 'V' at the tongue-in-groove joints, where the paint is kind of loose. I find it almost impossible to use the same DeWalt disk sander that I used for the flat part, since I have major control issues with that tool.

What can I use that will get into the 'V' - the only thing I saw in the big box shops was a flapped sander disk that goes on an angle grinder, around 1/2" thick and pointed into a V, but I dunno how much control I'll have with that either, grinders are not easy to control.

Thanks for any hints.

Dean

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Sanding between tongue-in-groove panels
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:05:18 AM »
I've just finished sanding an exterior cedar wall around 30x20', but I want to get the last paint off the 'V' at the tongue-in-groove joints, where the paint is kind of loose. I find it almost impossible to use the same DeWalt disk sander that I used for the flat part, since I have major control issues with that tool.

What can I use that will get into the 'V' - the only thing I saw in the big box shops was a flapped sander disk that goes on an angle grinder, around 1/2" thick and pointed into a V, but I dunno how much control I'll have with that either, grinders are not easy to control.

Thanks for any hints.

Dean
welcome.....if all the paint has been mechanically remove on the flat surface i would consider chemically stripping  the remaining
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline soperfectpaint

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 04:14:49 AM »
You need to use chemical stripper to remove the old paint.After that you will apply the new paint over it it will give the perfect finish to your paint.

www.soperfectpaint.com

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 05:07:53 PM »
You need to use chemical stripper to remove the old paint.After that you will apply the new paint over it it will give the perfect finish to your paint.

www.soperfectpaint.com

wanna bet?

anything