Author Topic: Badly chalked SW Duration?  (Read 5637 times)

Offline George

Badly chalked SW Duration?
« on: July 13, 2015, 02:21:22 PM »
Hi Guys,

My own house was originally painted Benjamin Moore Ticonderoga Green, which is a deep forest green.

When it cam time to paint in 2009, I had been using Duration white on my other apartment house, and was so impressed that I used it on my own house. SW custom matched the Ticonderoga green in satin Duration. I power washed scraped, SW ext primed where needed then Duration.

The two sides of the house and garage (Grade A cedar shakes siding)  that get sun all day long are now badly faded and chalked. It looks terrible.

Are there other precautions I can take to avoid this?  I honestly am thinking of painting the house (Cape Cod Style) white.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Badly chalked SW Duration?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2015, 04:54:51 PM »
Ditch the Duration would be my suggestion.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Badly chalked SW Duration?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2015, 10:22:59 PM »
Hi Guys,

My own house was originally painted Benjamin Moore Ticonderoga Green, which is a deep forest green.

When it cam time to paint in 2009, I had been using Duration white on my other apartment house, and was so impressed that I used it on my own house. SW custom matched the Ticonderoga green in satin Duration. I power washed scraped, SW ext primed where needed then Duration.

The two sides of the house and garage (Grade A cedar shakes siding)  that get sun all day long are now badly faded and chalked. It looks terrible.

Are there other precautions I can take to avoid this?  I honestly am thinking of painting the house (Cape Cod Style) white.

Thanks for any suggestions.
welcome....i guess SW should define the specific amount of time when they say duration....its a neutral base color which dont last long when subject to pounding sunlight...it is what it is......cant move the house....maybe you can plant a tree for eventual shade....at least you know now which areas need more maintenance....accept it and repaint..deep colors in factory tint last a little bit better than a deep color that has been store tinted.. i wouldnt do the white as you will see every crack and shadow and imperfection...i agree with chris, find a better product and repaint...apply only on the sides that are getting pounded by uv's
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice