Author Topic: Please review my sequence for painting and trim work....New Construction  (Read 6304 times)

Offline homeby5

Hey Guys,
I just found this place and am happy to be here :)

I have a question about my steps regarding painting and trimming out my new home that I am building. I was going to do the following sequence of steps because it seemed easier to me without the taping and such.

1- Spray Primer on all ceilings and walls.
2- Spray first and finish coats on Ceiling
3- Spray first and finish coats on walls
4- Spray primer and finish coats on Crown Molding, trim, casings and pre-hung doors on sawhorses BEFORE installing them.
5- Install all of above casings, moldings, trim and doors.
6- Fill all nail holes, caulk gaps on above casings, moldings, trim and doors and then touch up with paint.

Does this sound right? (I have both an airless sprayer and an HVLP system). What has me concerned is that I was reading the forums with the Pro's and a lot of them seem to recommend installing trim, casings, moldings, etc...BEFORE spraying the finish coat. They also then recommend applying the final coats on the walls last.

It just seems easier to me to have all of the walls done before any of my trim is installed. Also I would think I should spray finish coat on all trim before installation? The way the Pro's are recommending seems to mean extra work to me (taping and such that I would not have to do if the walls already had the final coats) but I am sure these guys know what they are talking about. Where am I going wrong?

Please note that I am building the house myself and doing 90% of the work including building and installing my own cabinets, plumbing and electrical. Does this matter? Are the Pros worried about other contractors screwing up their paint job?

Thanks a bunch guys :)

Offline mymint87

• PF God
welcome,  yeah when other subs carry in products and equipment the walls tend to get dinged up a bit....if you can cut in a straight paint line freehand with a brush and without tape and its your time then i dont see why you cant do it like you have outlined

part of the wall being last is because if you are using 2 different colors one for ceiling and the other for walls, its best to give the walls one coat of color then finish coat the ceiling...just because of the overspray and saving time in not having to control the overspray as much....walls can get dusty from the other trades, dusty wall dont touch up well.....i would recommend that before painting, have a very good sweep and be cognizant of dust and controlling it through the entire build process

heres a good method

install all trim and caulk
spray walls 1 coat
spray trim 2 coats
spray ceiling 2 coats
brush and roll walls final coat
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:55:49 AM by mymint87 »
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice