Author Topic: Cabinet mishap?  (Read 4576 times)

Offline Libbyf

Cabinet mishap?
« on: July 28, 2015, 10:58:09 PM »
I recently hired a painting company for a sizable interior job, which included our kitchen cabinets. When his workers started on the cabinets, I questioned him about their approach, since I noticed that they just started painting (using an oil-based alkyd) without cleaning, sanding or priming. He reassured me that Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 Alkyd would cover and adhere to our veneer cabinets with no problem. He made it sound like this paint has superpowers, which I took with a grain of salt but let them continue.

It has been about four days since the job was completed. We let the cabinets cure for 3 days before touching them. Now that we've put our stuff back in the cabinets, I have noticed on a couple occasions that the paint seems to chip off easily.

Knowledgeable painters...what can/should I do? Was this painter's approach completely off base? Should we receive a refund? Should he redo the work? Or should we wait and see?

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Cabinet mishap?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:04:49 AM »
First off, I don't think there is such a paint. Second, proper prep work is essential on any job, ESPECIALLY cabinets. Third, good luck having them come back to fix it.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Cabinet mishap?
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:51:02 PM »
I recently hired a painting company for a sizable interior job, which included our kitchen cabinets. When his workers started on the cabinets, I questioned him about their approach, since I noticed that they just started painting (using an oil-based alkyd) without cleaning, sanding or priming. He reassured me that Sherwin Williams ProMar 200 Alkyd would cover and adhere to our veneer cabinets with no problem. He made it sound like this paint has superpowers, which I took with a grain of salt but let them continue.

It has been about four days since the job was completed. We let the cabinets cure for 3 days before touching them. Now that we've put our stuff back in the cabinets, I have noticed on a couple occasions that the paint seems to chip off easily.

Knowledgeable painters...what can/should I do? Was this painter's approach completely off base? Should we receive a refund? Should he redo the work? Or should we wait and see?
was the scope of work outlined in the contract? what are the manufacturers recomendation for using the primer?...i have no doubt the can says that the surfaces must be cleaned
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything