Author Topic: Painting exterior cinder block -- first timers  (Read 1878 times)

Offline Gewesen

Painting exterior cinder block -- first timers
« on: August 08, 2011, 11:13:30 AM »
After installing new siding (in SE Minnesota), we want to paint the exposed cinder blocks a matching color. We have next to no external painting experience, and no experience painting brick. We have no problems with water leaking into the basement, so it is just a basic task of painting this kind of surface.

There is a layer of paint already (latex, I think), which we are in the process of scraping to remove bubbles and cracks. We'll patch where needed, clean the bricks (maybe just spray water), and put on a new coat of paint. My questions: Is there more we need to do? Do we need to prime or seal before the final paint is applied? Would a roller work for larger areas, using a brush when necessary elsewhere? And, how to paint as low as possible without getting the brush in the soil/rocks at the base of the bricks?

Thanks in advance...

Offline rmichael

• PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
Re: Painting exterior cinder block -- first timers
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:19:55 PM »
Be sure to scrape the old paint well to remove any that is loose or peeling, then clean the surface. You can spot prime the block with a primer sealer like Zinsser 123.
Make a shallow trench at the base of the block by raking the dirt away from the base. Use a piece of cardboard to keep dirt off the brush or roller while painting. Apply a high end exterior acrylic latex paint. When the paint is dry fill in the trench...  ;)     
If you plan to roll use at least a 3/4 inch nap roller cover.

Best Luck,
rmichael
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 09:21:45 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Gewesen

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice. I had thought of using a piece of cardboard, but didn't know if that would be effective. The information about the primer sealer and nap roller cover is much appreciated. Again, thanks for your help!

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:23:44 AM »
Not to argue with Michael but I would bet 3/4 is not big enough, maybe, but I would go with an inch. Try them both and see.

Offline Gewesen

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:42:55 AM »
Thanks for the advice -- I hope to have several hands helping with the painting, so there's easy opportunity here to try both. Much appreciated!

This is not a critical question, but I'm wondering what my chances are of having satisfactory results after applying a single coat of high quality paint (after spot priming, as Michael suggested)...

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
Your definition of "satisfactory results" might vary from mine, but I would say chances are slim. Always figure on two coats.

Offline Gewesen

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 09:53:46 PM »
Dang. I guess we'll see, but it sounds like I should plan on buying enough paint for 2 coats. Thanks much.