Author Topic: Least expensive HVLP that will spray latex  (Read 15311 times)

Offline zardoz777

Least expensive HVLP that will spray latex
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:34:18 PM »
Hi,
Just starting my first big side-job on my own, int/ext. I'm resigned to renting an airless for the ext. walls, but am really interested in HVLP. The house has a big fence, and the interior has crown moldings in every room, so a cheap sprayer would pay for itself pretty quickly. Plus, I started out as an industrial painter and just miss spraying . . . ideally, if HVLP cuts the overspray as much as people say, I'd use it for ceilings and even walls.

I've seen Wagners as low as $100 but it looks like latex is too thick for a 2-stage HVLP. Any ideas?
"There's no situation so bad that it can't get even worse."

Offline HDPaintPro

Re: Least expensive HVLP that will spray latex
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:34 PM »
Generally you will not be very productive mass painting ceilings and walls with an HVLP - they are more quality rather than quantity.   Also, most latex paints are too thick to be sprayed with an HVLP, so you will need to thin out the paint - which results in drips and runs.  An HVLP will be a good choice for trim (smooth finish).

I work at The Home Depot in Atlanta and we have an awesome paint sprayer that is made by Milwaukee that is a duel standard airless sprayer/ HVLP combo unit that is awesome to behold.  your local HD should have a model in store or you can check out the link to get familiar with it.
http://www.homedepot.com/Milwaukee/h_d1/N-5yc1vZzv/R-202019771/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

All in all, being productive is the key to success. Hope this helps.
Remember - it's only paint.

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:02:06 PM »
Spray machines pay for themselves quickly but only if they are working. If you are planning on doing many jobs I would go with a Graco 395. (don't know if call the same in the states) That was the first machine I bought when I started my company 9 years ago and I'm still using it. It will spray almost anything that you many need although I don't recommend spraying elastomeric with it. Last time I checked the price on them they were @ $990. Graco also has a machine called Magnum. I've seen them for $299. Brand new. I've never heard or seen anyone use them but they should be good for a couple of small jobs. I would defiantly stick to one of the name brand machines. Homedepot stuff many be harder to find parts for.

As for HVLP machines I wouldn't buy one unless you are planning on doing spray stains. You can get nice finishes with a airless just by changing the tips. (which also may be hard to find from a homedepot machine.)

Sorry HDPaintPro, I do buy lots of stuff from HD.  :-\

Offline zardoz777

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:13:18 PM »
This is tricky. I went and bought a Wagner, (haven't used it yet), but word in the forums is that it's really loud. The client will be working at home during the day, so I can't have that.
Plus, by the time you get the handset plugged into the wall and use a siphon, I don't see a big portability advantage over a floormounted unit.

I should clarify; my experience with airless was with an ancient Graco beast . . . beautiful machine, you could spray about as fast as you could climb the ladder, but it was very limited in terms of pressure. Anything less than 75% and you'd start to get fingering.

Also, I'd like to start finishing guitars on the side, so it may be worth really looking into a fine-finishing/airless combo. Our local HD doesn't stock the Milwaukees, any suggestions?

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 07:18:24 AM »
For finishing guitars I would use a HLVP machine. But for house painting I would still use a airless. You don't really want to switch the paint that you are using in the airless. ex. oil to latex. It gums things up. Even if you clean the machine out very good inbetween I have one machine for oil, one for lacquer, and acouple for latex. The HVLP machine (just a cup gun) seems to be easier to clean and haven't had a problem switching materials.

Also a HVLP gun cup will spray a small amount of material where a airless needs a quart to prime and fill the lines. so every guitar you paint you'll have to buy a gallon of materail.

Offline zardoz777

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »
Thanks, those are all good points. Wishful thinking caused me to forget the obvious, of course I don't want to blow $50 worth of nitro laquer just to prime  the machine.
BTW I sprayed some water through the Wagner Power Painter and got this incredibly loud, nerve-wracking racket when I pulled the trigger. Just what I deserved for being so cheap, I'll return it and grab an airless. Will check out the Magnum, as I do love those Gracos.

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 08:20:34 PM »
They have some recondition Magnums on ebay for $170  + free shipping.

Offline vini

• postingpro
  • That paints a gold mine cause my dredge is broke,
    • Painting Hands
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 06:36:13 PM »
Read the reviews on this gun looks like it might shoot paint ok with using just a compressor . I have tried to get gravity guns to shoot paint with out any luck but maybe a conversion gun would work and its cheaper then a whole HVLP system if you already have a compressor.

http://www.gleempaint.com/hvcongunnew.html
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 06:43:33 PM by vini »
"We dont thin no paint in my world"

- Vini

Offline zardoz777

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2011, 12:33:50 PM »
Hi everyone, thanks for all the input.
I wound up getting a Titan airless, and it turned out to be a very nice machine. Sets up easily, folds down to fit in my Civic, and sprays beautifully; unreal for a $400 machine.
My only complaint is the ridiculous 25' hose, you can't do anything with that.
I don't expect it to last for decades like the Gracos can, but it actually performs really well.

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2011, 05:13:54 PM »
Thanks for the update.

A titan will last just as long as a Graco in the same price range. As for the hose they are cheap enough to buy a longer one. I'm pretty sure that any airless hose will fit. I've seen lots of Titans with Graco gun and hose kits on them.