Author Topic: How do I get up here?  (Read 7751 times)

Offline zardoz777

How do I get up here?
« on: September 06, 2011, 09:01:01 PM »
Well, I've got to find a way to access that wedge that extends to the upper right of the photo. The fence is maybe 5' from the wall, and it's 7' tall, so I can't lean a ladder against the roof. The angle on that sucker is just as  steep as it looks, there's no way to stand on it, and I can't use roof-jacks (brand-new shingle roof).
I can get the fascia from the upper roof, but the wall itself . . .
Anyone got a neat trick?
"There's no situation so bad that it can't get even worse."

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
Re: How do I get up here?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 10:10:04 PM »
While its obviously not OSHA approved, but I would take the longest extension ladder available, one that could be leaned over that fence and on the sloped roof, and have the fattest guy I know sit on the bottom of it while I painted that wedge area as fast as I can.

Offline ProWallGuy

• postingpro
  • PF God
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 10:15:01 PM »
Sorry, just saw that the fence is too high to lean a ladder over it. Maybe erect some scaffolding, get it as high as the roof peak, and string a plank from scaffold to peak?

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 06:55:09 AM »
how about a rope tied to the other side of the roof, hanging over from the peak so you have some sort of fall protection.

Offline madochio

• been in this wayyyyy toooo lonnnnggggg
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:11:18 AM »
i would still take a 2x4 and nail it to the roof for footing. or rent a "cherry picker" unless you plan on doing many of these i would not invest in the scafoling big bucks there.

Offline zardoz777

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 01:24:53 AM »
Well, I got it done, but that was some unwelcome climbing experience for sure. Not recommended.
"There's no situation so bad that it can't get even worse."

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
;D Sometimes the best way is to just do it and don't think about it too much.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 10:50:01 PM »
Well, I got it done, but that was some unwelcome climbing experience for sure. Not recommended.
I am disappointed by the lack of explanation on your method.
Sean

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:58:43 PM »
I missed this post but I would have used a pair of ridge hooks attached to a section of extension ladder.

Here is an example of the hooks, just roll up and flip the ladder over the roof ridge. They will not damage the shingles and they will hold your weight.     
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Ladder+Roof+Hook+2481+w+Wheel+Fits+Werner+Louisville
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."

Offline Hangman

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »
Very helpful, what is the purpose of the wheel? While were talking about working on a steep pitched roof, I looked at one the other day with cedar shake shingles. Not my idea of fun. Any advice for working on this type of roof? (Besides run)
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 10:25:20 PM »
I missed this post but I would have used a pair of ridge hooks attached to a section of extension ladder.

Here is an example of the hooks, just roll up and flip the ladder over the roof ridge. They will not damage the shingles and they will hold your weight.     
http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_nkw=Ladder+Roof+Hook+2481+w+Wheel+Fits+Werner+Louisville
Good post. I learned of ridge hooks a couple years ago. That is the route I would of considered but got stuck on commenting on the follow up.
Sean

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 10:26:22 PM »
Very helpful, what is the purpose of the wheel? While were talking about working on a steep pitched roof, I looked at one the other day with cedar shake shingles. Not my idea of fun. Any advice for working on this type of roof? (Besides run)
What is the pitch?
Sean

Offline Hangman

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:26 PM »
Steep.....
A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest..........

Offline rmichael

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
  • You gotta love it!
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
If you can't use an extension ladder laid on the roof and stuck into the ground the ridge hooks will work on shakes, the wheels are to roll the ladder up the roof, then flip it over at the ridge.

Sean- I have been using folding Fireman Hooks on a few of my extension ladders for about 15 years but I thinks the new ridge hooks are better at preventing shingle damage...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 04:21:50 PM by rmichael »
Pro Painter 30 years ~ Down East Coastal NC

"Hell Son, It's always been about the work."