Author Topic: how to bid on construction plans  (Read 5643 times)

Offline csampa

how to bid on construction plans
« on: December 03, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
Hi..I am new to the group and also new to the painting world. My husband owns his own painting business and has been mostly doing residential homes. The commercial jobs he has been getting have been through a few GCs that have basically been giving him all their painting work so we do not have any experience with competitive bidding. We recently subscribed to a building and construction network that sends us potential jobs. They are mostly new buildings that have not been built yet. I am completely lost on how to read the construction plans and I don't see anything in them that even pertains to the painting aspect of the buildings. I called the construction manager of one jobs and asked for specifics of the paint job but they just emailed to construction plan. Can anyone give advice on how to go about bidding on these types of jobs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: how to bid on construction plans
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 11:18:12 PM »
Hi..I am new to the group and also new to the painting world. My husband owns his own painting business and has been mostly doing residential homes. The commercial jobs he has been getting have been through a few GCs that have basically been giving him all their painting work so we do not have any experience with competitive bidding. We recently subscribed to a building and construction network that sends us potential jobs. They are mostly new buildings that have not been built yet. I am completely lost on how to read the construction plans and I don't see anything in them that even pertains to the painting aspect of the buildings. I called the construction manager of one jobs and asked for specifics of the paint job but they just emailed to construction plan. Can anyone give advice on how to go about bidding on these types of jobs? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
welcome...the plans are intent...the specs say what to use, plans were to put it...if you have no specs write your own and submit with bid or clarify with request for information form or RFI prior to bid deadline...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline csampa

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 01:05:06 PM »
ok thanks! so I should contact the companies and ask for more info? I just don't want to seem like I don't have a clue what I'm doing! :-\

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 02:12:11 PM »
ok thanks! so I should contact the companies and ask for more info? I just don't want to seem like I don't have a clue what I'm doing! :-\
well put it this way, if your husband hired a painter and the guy told him he had experience, how long would it take your husband to figure out if he's telling the truth?......the same goes for companies and project managers or estimators etc....no matter what you tell them they are going to know...so dont worry about it...honesty and ethics equals longevity and if you plan on doing this for a while...well...you make the choice....just remember there are a few good companies to establish long term working relationships and many are there just to grind you up....thats the game so be prepared...of course you ask questions, just how do they expect you to be competitive?  there are plans and specs....you need both....on the plans it should designated in the details or floor plans or elevations or...you have to scour the whole set, looking for any and all paint references...the plans should have door/ window/ finish schedules sometimes the specs are in the plans under general conditions what i mean by specs is specific materials (primers/ finishes/ number of coats)....good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything