Author Topic: Advice Needed on Restoring/Painting Antique Filing Cabinet  (Read 8948 times)

Offline nichol

Advice Needed on Restoring/Painting Antique Filing Cabinet
« on: March 04, 2016, 01:21:22 AM »
Hello, I'm just after a bit of advice on how I can turn an old metal filing cabinet into something that looks cool and vintage by giving it a new paint job? Not sure if this is really the kind of forum for it but I'm after techniques really that I might be able to apply to turn the cabinet from a rusty old box to something that will look nice and retro in my home office. Any pointers would be great. Thanks.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Advice Needed on Restoring/Painting Antique Filing Cabinet
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 10:48:19 AM »
Hello, I'm just after a bit of advice on how I can turn an old metal filing cabinet into something that looks cool and vintage by giving it a new paint job? Not sure if this is really the kind of forum for it but I'm after techniques really that I might be able to apply to turn the cabinet from a rusty old box to something that will look nice and retro in my home office. Any pointers would be great. Thanks.
welcome..there are many faux type finishes sold in kits that can do alot http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/291359958690 ..i have used these product and have found that after applying the activator you have time to move the rust effect buy tipping off with a brush before it dries...the big thing about these finishes and other types of affects is that while the product is the same, each person will come up with different looks according to their experience and artistic ability....you can also use an effect by priming with a thick coat of (in your instance) solvent based bonding primer, then flat paint...after it has dried use somewhat course sand paper to scratch the flat finish, what i mean is that one stroke of the sand paper will lightly scratch the flat and when you apply the next coat which is an oil stain, the scratches will become apparent then you topcoat with a water clear finish...i have posted several examples to give you ideas and although these are on wood, basically its the same on metal....to simulate rust just choose a combo of flat color and stain to match rust..the methhod is learned by experience but you can use any combo of flat paint and oil...you see the flat will to some extent absorb the oil stain..good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:49:29 AM »
light color flat dark oil stain

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:52:58 AM »
dark flat with oil being applied

Offline nichol

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
Thanks for the tips, I'm torn between whether I want to go for a light or dark effect. I liked the picture you added with the light colour flat dark oil stain finish and that's the kind of effect I had originally envisaged. I've seen a dark effect finish on some cabinets whilst looking around the net. I've given the picture so you can see what I mean. Not sure what I'd need to use though to achieve it?

Offline nichol

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 05:26:09 AM »
I've ended up buying a filing cabinet from http://www.for-sale.ie/antique-filing-cabinet which is similar in style to the picture I added on my previous post but with six draws instead of twelve. I think I'm going to attempt to create the same kind of effect. I've spent the best part of two days looking at all the different styles and techniques, its melted my brain. I'm going to look at the unit first once it arrives, rather than definitely deciding on a style now as its difficult to tell everything just from one picture. There's nice brushed examples I've seen that would also go nice with my other furniture. I think going darker is definitely going to fit my office better. I think I need to be sensible about the task I take on as I've only really done the odd bit of wood restoration at home and I'm hardly a pro so that will probably have a lot of baring on what I go for. Thanks for all the pointers.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 01:25:07 PM »
i do alot of decks and wood here in san diego at "old town"..the historical first town.....you may think its silly until you've tried it...get a piece of wood, paint a thick coat of flat...preferably a tan or gold color, then wipe with dirty motor oil...yes dirty motor oil....you may be pleasantly surprised....

Offline nichol

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 11:15:19 PM »
Haha, does sound interesting, could always give it a whirl to see how it looks.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »
the whole point in a properly bonded coat of flat is that it absorbs,  and if you scrathc the surface of the flat with course sandpaper, those scratches will only become apparent when you stain so make sure you practice different sanding patterns when you "stress" the flat the ultimate look will be determined in the base color combined with the "stress" with stain that absords on top.... each stain, water, gel, oil have different amounts of chemical "dryers" in them...so please take a moment to experiment...have fun with it....good luck

Offline nichol

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 06:52:54 AM »
Thanks, will do.

Offline facembanidaimon

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 03:06:55 PM »
I think I need to be sensible about the task I take on as I've only really done the odd bit of wood restoration at home and I'm hardly a pro so that will probably have a lot of baring on what I go for. Thanks for all the pointers.