Author Topic: Exterior restaining  (Read 3586 times)

Offline Kalimay

Exterior restaining
« on: March 05, 2016, 06:32:46 PM »
I moved into a cedar-sided house that was stained about 14 years ago -- I believe they used Columbia Paints Duron in a semi-transparent finish.  Surprisingly, it has held up very well except where the sun beats down and where snow accumulation/water are an issue.  I am afraid of trying to restain with a semi-transparent at this time (blotchiness and uneven color as well as absorption). 

1. Can I use a semi-transparent and get even color results?

2. Can I use a latex solid stain over the semi-transparent if indeed it is oil based.  If so what preparation do I need to do?

3.  Any other things that I need to consider when undertaking this project?  I have cold feet to an extent because it is a 5000 sq. ft. DIY project!

Thank you!!

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Exterior restaining
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 01:00:17 AM »
I moved into a cedar-sided house that was stained about 14 years ago -- I believe they used Columbia Paints Duron in a semi-transparent finish.  Surprisingly, it has held up very well except where the sun beats down and where snow accumulation/water are an issue.  I am afraid of trying to restain with a semi-transparent at this time (blotchiness and uneven color as well as absorption). 

1. Can I use a semi-transparent and get even color results?

2. Can I use a latex solid stain over the semi-transparent if indeed it is oil based.  If so what preparation do I need to do?

3.  Any other things that I need to consider when undertaking this project?  I have cold feet to an extent because it is a 5000 sq. ft. DIY project!

Thank you!!
welcome...tough to say without seeing how much and where the old coating is compromised and to what extent the water damage is, they do have wood bleachers, and sometimes a simple powerwashing can remedy certain instances

using latex solid color stain over the existing oil can be done , sometimes it calls out for a specific wood primer, the point in using the solid stain is to still allow the wood to breathe so make sure you use a wood primer that allows it to breathe if the product suggests using one....consider semi stain on all areas except the damaged places, maybe you can just use the solid "corner to corner", in those higher maintenance areas, if you match the semi correctly it should look good... when considering using a solid on everything you are going to lose a bit of the natural grainy beauty that you get with a semi, solid stains finish very close to regular paint in appearance, and finally. if you use a light color seams gaps and joint become more apparent and may need to be filled with something that bridges the gap. like caulking...of course the natural semi looks the best IMO, but there is a cost, it is higher maintenance, but really that is mostly limited to those over exposed areas, the problem probably would have been remedied if the previous owners keep up the maintenance on the exposed areas and not let the coating or in this case the treatment become compromised....good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything