Author Topic: Latex semi gloss over flat latex  (Read 4515 times)

Offline Homeowner173

Latex semi gloss over flat latex
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:57:10 AM »
My house was almost destroyed in a storm, and it had to be rebuilt from the ceilings up. I had flat latex paint on the interior that was about 20 years old. The builder had his carpenters put two coats of semi gloss on the interior walls. One room in particular and a couple places in a bath will peel if touched with a fingernail or hit with something sharp. It just comes off in a thick rubbery layer. The old flat paint underneath never did that, and you cannot scrape it off the drywall. Anyone know what may have caused this? We are just being careful with it. The contractor just said he didnt know what caused it and it wasnt his problem. Thanks.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Latex semi gloss over flat latex
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 07:21:32 PM »
My house was almost destroyed in a storm, and it had to be rebuilt from the ceilings up. I had flat latex paint on the interior that was about 20 years old. The builder had his carpenters put two coats of semi gloss on the interior walls. One room in particular and a couple places in a bath will peel if touched with a fingernail or hit with something sharp. It just comes off in a thick rubbery layer. The old flat paint underneath never did that, and you cannot scrape it off the drywall. Anyone know what may have caused this? We are just being careful with it. The contractor just said he didnt know what caused it and it wasnt his problem. Thanks.
welcome, all cans of paint will have recommendations of application on the label, usually it recommends a clean surface and a bonding primer of some sort, you indicate that it is a previously painted surface that the new paint is failing to bond to, i would ask that he provide a second professional (a local paint manufacturer representative) to examine the situation and and for him to repair it or withhold money, he is the licensed person, he is the professional, not you, he should accept responsibility and it can be assumed he should know better..it is somewhat unprofessional and down right unethical for not notifying you of the discovery BEFORE he applied the coating...maybe extra costs were needed to insure you get a proper job....typically in the painting industry, once I begin to apply my new coating over a surface, i have now bought that surface and any failing of coating is on me...for him to proceed by not cleaning or not supplying the appropriate primer to allow for the bonding of new paint, furthermore, is not supplying the product as CLEARLY indicated by the manufacturer ....you need to see what the contract stipulates or any assumption that can be interpreted in the contract .... usually flat paint is absorbent enough to bond with new paint even in the absence of a bonding primer although it will never be recommended by the paint manufacturer...my first hunch at the minimum is some kind of containment on the existing surface and it wasnt cleaned properly or a proper primer was not used or both...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Latex semi gloss over flat latex
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 01:49:59 AM »
Why oh why would they put semi gloss on the walls to begin with??

anything