Author Topic: High gloss oil  (Read 5381 times)

Offline cameronspnt

High gloss oil
« on: April 03, 2016, 07:25:19 AM »
Any body ever do any exterior painting over high gloss oil with a latex/acrylic without priming first?

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: High gloss oil
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 07:48:01 AM »
welcome..... every painter has probably done it once in his life, typically that would be on your first time painting as you would quickly learn from that mistake... sanding down the surface extremely well and using a flat finish would bond the best but still not as good as using some sort of bonding primer first...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline cameronspnt

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:17:05 AM »
My biggest concern is the adhesion, will it fail.  The specs are for Sherwin Williams Emerald gloss with no primer on high gloss oil.  I spoke to a Benjamin Moore rep and he said he wouldn't trust his products on a high gloss without a primer even with a thorough sanding.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 11:30:49 AM »
Two fold answer here.  If the specs specifically call for it and you are contractually bound to follow specs then it isn't your liability. If it's a grey area in the contract and If the manufacturer doesn't recommend it without a primer then you should bring it to the attention of the responsible party and request monies to prime. Typically there is a clause in specs and generally when there is a contradiction generally the most stringent applies. All water based product will eventually fail over oil paints especially gloss. Even though flat bonds the best in no way do I recommend any level of sheen water based paint applied over oil without the cleaning/sanding and priming of the surface first. So just some additional info.  But in regards to the hard question you ask. Yes it will fail
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice