Author Topic: Would you roll or spray this?  (Read 9020 times)

Offline HandymanC

Would you roll or spray this?
« on: April 14, 2016, 12:46:23 AM »
Hi, I've been reading this forum for a few months (started my business in January) and it's saved my butt a couple times now.  So I figured I better join and ask some advice on a job that I've recently been given.  I'll be painting these door jams.  Not the doors, just the white jams.  I don't know if "jam" is the right word for these giant things but you get the idea.  I'd really like to spray the paint on with my sprayer but that means taping them off which will take for ever, require a lot of tape, and a lot of plastic.  However, applying the paint with a roller will take quit a while too.  There are 25 doors.  Not sure what to do here.  I'm leaning toward roller.  Anyone done something like this?

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Would you roll or spray this?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:50:18 AM »
Till you got done taping it all off, you could have them painted, IMO.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 08:52:32 AM »
welcome, chrisn is right, not to mention out of all the colors, white seems to be the most noticeable when it comes to overspray, even masking off and throwing down drops, it would only take a good wind to leave a ghost pattern on the ground once your drops are picked up.

white covers horribly, even though you may ask the paint store to throw in extra titanium in each gallon, i can still see you doing it twice which isn't a problem at all with a roller, the thing i see is the reveal which is not the widest part nor the facing trim, but that little half inch part that turns back and meets the greyish blue color, with that i would use a whizzer skin or something similar to and a spray shield or a single strip of tape...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline HandymanC

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 09:59:56 PM »
Thanks guys.  I wanted to make sure there wasn't a better way than rolling for this.  I feel better now.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 12:56:29 AM by HandymanC »

Offline facembanidaimon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 03:34:45 AM »
the thing i see is the reveal which is not the widest part nor the facing trim, but that little half inch part that turns back and meets the greyish blue color, with that i would use a whizzer skin

Offline elfinruler

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2016, 06:50:55 AM »
Hey Guys well Spray ons seem to have less components in them that cause allergies but yet, they are not the best for the environment.Thanks!

Gordon Rutty
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 07:28:35 AM by elfinruler »

Offline HandymanC

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 05:46:35 PM »
I ended brushing it on which provided good control.  Took me 18 hrs of painting. 

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2016, 02:18:30 AM »
How did you prep that rust?

Offline excelpainting

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2016, 12:28:41 PM »
Came out looking great.  I think rolling it on probably saved you a lot of time and grief.  Good job.

George
http://www.excelpainting.com

Offline HandymanC

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2016, 11:39:53 PM »
How did you prep that rust?

The big spots in the picture is a brown primer.  It was under a couple layers of paint that I blew off with the pressure washer.  Any little spots of rust I scraped off with a wire brush.

Came out looking great.  I think rolling it on probably saved you a lot of time and grief.  Good job.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 11:41:51 PM by HandymanC »

anything