Author Topic: Best Primer???  (Read 5275 times)

Offline Andi

Best Primer???
« on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »
Hi. I am overloaded with information and need some good advice.  I am in the process of hiring a painter to paint my kitchen cabinets. They are currently painted a medium gray with acrylic polymer paint.  I want them white.  I have decided based on positive reviews to go with the Benjamin Moore Advance waterborne Alkyd paint.  My question is what primer to use.  Stick? Kilz?  If so which one?  I don't want to spend $60 a gallon on expensive primer if I don't need to, but I do want to use the right one. My painter will be spraying.  Thanks for your help!!

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Best Primer???
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 04:58:14 PM »
I see no need to prime at all.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 12:54:28 AM »
Hi. I am overloaded with information and need some good advice.  I am in the process of hiring a painter to paint my kitchen cabinets. They are currently painted a medium gray with acrylic polymer paint.  I want them white.  I have decided based on positive reviews to go with the Benjamin Moore Advance waterborne Alkyd paint.  My question is what primer to use.  Stick? Kilz?  If so which one?  I don't want to spend $60 a gallon on expensive primer if I don't need to, but I do want to use the right one. My painter will be spraying.  Thanks for your help!!
welcome...60 dollars a gallon?.... reading that your going to pure white, i would use a bonding or blocking primer just for coverage purposes as I agree with chrisn, priming for bonding isnt really necessary but it will save you some money in materials, consider 3 coat spray application, first one with the primer and 2 of the more expensive finish rather than 3 with the expensive finish....i dont know where your getting kilz at 60 dollars a gallon as you mentioned, that way too much...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 02:54:43 AM »
Just as an after thought, the painter would or at least should know.

anything