Author Topic: How to fix hired painters mistake??  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Mattd

How to fix hired painters mistake??
« on: May 22, 2016, 10:43:21 AM »
I hired a professional painter to paint my newly purchased townhome. He did an ok job but there is one thing I am curious about. The previous owners of my home had pets. I noticed that there was pet urine on the baseboards of my home. My hired painter painted over the urine and I can still smell the urine in the house. How should I correct this problem? Sand and repaint?? Does paint cover up pet urine smells?

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: How to fix hired painters mistake??
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 12:46:22 AM »
I hired a professional painter to paint my newly purchased townhome. He did an ok job but there is one thing I am curious about. The previous owners of my home had pets. I noticed that there was pet urine on the baseboards of my home. My hired painter painted over the urine and I can still smell the urine in the house. How should I correct this problem? Sand and repaint?? Does paint cover up pet urine smells?
welcome...not if it is penetrated the raw wood or drywall, it can wick up underneath the baseboard when it puddles on the floor...consider your textiles too, carpet and drapes for example can retain the smell...you first have to identify where the smell is originating from before you can fix it...if you think it is the baseboard and not any other textiles i would remove the suspected board for confirmation and replace it with new material.... good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline excelpainting

Re: How to fix hired painters mistake??
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:32:30 PM »
I doubt the smell is coming from urine on the wall rather it is coming from the drywall/sheet rock or possibly carpet (if you have it).  You are going to have to rip and replace the drywall and repaint.

George
http://www.excelpainting.com

anything