Author Topic: Another Coat of Primer Needed?  (Read 21218 times)

Offline djlank99

Re: Another Coat of Primer Needed?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2016, 01:06:10 AM »
"it all depends on product temperature and since it is field painted or a climate that you have little or no control over ...your climate conditions come into play, that would determine if penetrol is beneficial...usually oils become thinner and flow better but evaporate quicker when the product is heated , like setting the gallon out in sunlight to warm it up... obviously your protecting the paint from getting too cold while you store it for use but if it is cool and your conditions are cool penetrol would be a better thinning agent than mineral spirits"..

I'd say I'm painting at an average of 75-80 degrees in the shade, as my garage is not temp controlled.  I'm guessing that would mean it is warm enough such that using penetrol would not be necessary?  I wasn't sure how hot you were talking, but wanted to check.

Also, I am guessing that the thin nap mohair roller is the way to go?  I found it odd that it seemed the rolled strokes were less noticeable with the high density foam, but again I am guessing that it because 1. It would always be less noticeable on a second coat of primer, and 2. My issue with leaving the primer in the tray too long was creating the gunk type feel in a couple of spots.  Would this sound about right? 

Thank you very much for your advice, it's amazing how different everyone feels about the best way to do anything related to painting.  I'm sure there are multiple ways to do things right, but hundreds more possible combinations of ways to do things incredibly wrong!

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2016, 08:08:13 AM »
"it all depends on product temperature and since it is field painted or a climate that you have little or no control over ...your climate conditions come into play, that would determine if penetrol is beneficial...usually oils become thinner and flow better but evaporate quicker when the product is heated , like setting the gallon out in sunlight to warm it up... obviously your protecting the paint from getting too cold while you store it for use but if it is cool and your conditions are cool penetrol would be a better thinning agent than mineral spirits"..

I'd say I'm painting at an average of 75-80 degrees in the shade, as my garage is not temp controlled.  I'm guessing that would mean it is warm enough such that using penetrol would not be necessary?  I wasn't sure how hot you were talking, but wanted to check.

Also, I am guessing that the thin nap mohair roller is the way to go?  I found it odd that it seemed the rolled strokes were less noticeable with the high density foam, but again I am guessing that it because 1. It would always be less noticeable on a second coat of primer, and 2. My issue with leaving the primer in the tray too long was creating the gunk type feel in a couple of spots.  Would this sound about right? 

Thank you very much for your advice, it's amazing how different everyone feels about the best way to do anything related to painting.  I'm sure there are multiple ways to do things right, but hundreds more possible combinations of ways to do things incredibly wrong!
i wouldnt use the mohair or the foam, i would use a nap and size as i indicated previously but thats just me, a foam roller doesnt have much paint release when you use it meaning it doesnt hold much product and product flow from the skin is akin to using a bread rolling pin....i would use a two gallon bucket, pour about 1/2 to 3/4 fo a gallon in....keep my roller fully submerged while not in use, when using pick up roller, vigorously shake while still in the bucket but not submerged and lightly roll on a clean cardboard spray shield to preload, or some people use a paint grid for preloading...the whole thinning thing is hard to explain, some guys like to thin to get the ropes out of paint....we call ropes the stringy look to the paint while stiring in a bucket...proper thinning  really comes from experience as it is very easy for someone to overthin, in your case i would at least warm up the product (since you are using an oil) buy placing the can in the sun for a bit....and i would consider a penetrol if you want to give yourself a bit more working time with the product 
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline djlank99

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2016, 11:23:13 PM »
Thank you for all the advice and recommendations, I'm set up and ready to go following your instructions tomorrow!