Author Topic: rusted metal structure  (Read 3277 times)

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
rusted metal structure
« on: October 11, 2011, 12:59:15 AM »
I’ve got a small metal shed to paint, with a couple large areas of extreme rust.  Normally I would not mess with this, but it’s on rental property for a very good customer.  She understands this is not going to last forever, just wants a couple more years til she replaces it.

Just to see what would happen, I used a wire brush on a drill and got the surface rust off.  The bare metal still has some rust spots.  The paint store is suggesting laquer thinner, spot prime with oil and paint. 

I’m planning that plus some light coats of DTM.  I don’t want to spend too much time on ths, but I’m open to suggestions.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: rusted metal structure
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 03:46:07 AM »
Sounds like what I would do in this case.

Offline Gracobucks

Re: rusted metal structure
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 06:46:32 AM »
I would use rust convertor first. It will turn the remaining rust into black iron and should prevent it from returning. I buy it @ GP and here is around $50 per gallon. I have used it many times and had good results with it. After the convertor I would use the DTM as you wanted to. For the convertor to work there should be minor rust remaining on the surface. If you don't have GP there a autobody supply store will have it.