Author Topic: Limiting brush strokes on flat trim  (Read 5400 times)

Offline gsdan

Limiting brush strokes on flat trim
« on: July 21, 2016, 05:44:09 PM »
Greetings . I have been struggling with brush strokes on the flat trim throughout my house . I am using alkyd paint from sherwin williams  (pro class) with a Purdy white China bristle brush . I have not used penetrol yet as I have had the same problem in the past even with conditioned  paint . The problem is more evident on vertical trim than on horizontal,  which makes sense due to gravity and the weight of the paint as it flattens out . How can I reduce the strokes on the vertical portions , of which there a lot more of . I also noticed that the paint wants to drag some so I think moving forward I will probably add some penetrol to increase setting time. Paint was purchased this morning , temp of room is probably around 77 degrees

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Limiting brush strokes on flat trim
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:35:14 AM »
Greetings . I have been struggling with brush strokes on the flat trim throughout my house . I am using alkyd paint from sherwin williams  (pro class) with a Purdy white China bristle brush . I have not used penetrol yet as I have had the same problem in the past even with conditioned  paint . The problem is more evident on vertical trim than on horizontal,  which makes sense due to gravity and the weight of the paint as it flattens out . How can I reduce the strokes on the vertical portions , of which there a lot more of . I also noticed that the paint wants to drag some so I think moving forward I will probably add some penetrol to increase setting time. Paint was purchased this morning , temp of room is probably around 77 degrees
welcome....way back when they made oil paints with heavy solids such as lead, you could apply the paint with a mop and it would still flow out...nowadays oils aren't like they usta be, most are hybrid emulsions...i would say that your wet mil thickness per coat is too much...otherwords, your applying it too thick...i am not familiar with the product and some products do require special techniques of application, if that is the case, experience will have a big affect on the finished look....hopefully chrisn has used this product and maybe can chime in on any special technique if needed...good luck
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:07:03 AM »
I don't use SW so am not going to be of help. I will say there are varying degrees of Purdy brushes and you need to spend the $ for the good one. You will not get a good one at the big box stores, I don't care what they tell you. Also if you are brushing something, guess what?, you will have brush marks.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 09:03:37 AM »
as far as technique, some hybrids require applying it in thin coats tipping it off back into the painted areas as you go and leave it alone, let it dry do not rework, if it needs a second coat, so be it, but only after it fully dries
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

Offline gsdan

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
I played around with the penetrol to paint ratio and after getting up to about 15% , I,m able to produce a sprayed finish on my crown moldings , which is actually a large cove profile(3-11/16). I bought a wooster jumbo koter micro plush roller , and get good results on the vertical sills , but the flat door casings look orange peeled. Has anyone had any experience with the Purdy parrot jumbo mimi ?

anything