Author Topic: When customers reneg.  (Read 4628 times)

Offline zardoz777

When customers reneg.
« on: January 06, 2012, 01:39:14 AM »
OK, what would you do?
Last summer I did an exterior for the pickiest customer ever (rough wood trim, heavy California stucco, all the lines had to be ruler-straight . . . insane.)
I did whatever it took, he was happy, and hired me to do the interior. Quote was for $6000, to be finished by Christmas. Trouble is, he couldn't decide on the colors. Still hasn't decided. Talked today, and now he's saying maybe February or March. Now, I don't believe a word the guy says, but I'm not intending to sue 'cause I have a separate business arrangement with his wife (totally unrelated.)
But I can't just walk away. So far, my plan is to print off an invoice for the price of the job (minus materials) and hand it to him. I'll never work for this guy again, but . . .
Any suggestions?
"There's no situation so bad that it can't get even worse."

Offline TallyPainter

• postingpro
  • Do the next right thing
Re: When customers reneg.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 02:39:58 AM »
Do you have  signed contract?  Does it have a start time in writing?  Have you done any preparation work that you were contracted to do, or received a deposit for?   Have you been scheduled to work, and turned down other work for his sake?   

On another point, does your paint store have a decorator, or do you have access to one.  Don't know what your profit is, but I have  hired a decorator for larger jobs just to get them moving.   If they have a rough idea what they want usually an hour or two is all it takes.   Do you have color soft wear, could you show some samples of at least one room?

To answer your question about the legal issue,  I'm not a lawyer, but unless he breached a contract you have nothing.  Even if he did the courts usually side with the consumer.   I would focus on other projects.  If he calls back schedule him when you can.

Offline zardoz777

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »
All good points, thanks for the reply.
As I say, I'm not interested in taking him to court, but in principle it's easy to show we had an agreement (I've got the video and photos used for the estimate, and a text saying the client agreed to the price.)
I did suggest that he use a decorator . . . he hired two, now he wants to remodel the kitchen and pick colors based on that.

Pardon the kind of useless post, if nothing else it's a reminder to all, never do business with friends (or at least, work harder than usual to communicate!)
Thanks again,
m.
"There's no situation so bad that it can't get even worse."

Offline Gracobucks

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:01:26 PM »
If it was me and you haven't spent money on  labour (beside emitmating it) or material I would just walk away. Not worth fighting over. If you went to court they would probably only award you lose of profits so if they think you should be on 10 percent profit that's only 600 bucks. Even if they said 25 percent profit that's only $1500. Not worth the time to file the papers and lose a day of work to go to court. Sometimes best to just keep moving forward.

Offline Workaholic

• postingpro
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 08:59:40 PM »
If you never started the job and never purchased materials, never signed a contract then what are you suing over? It sounds like it was just a job that got discussed but never transpired.

I have looked at jobs, discussed them in person and in email and they never came to a head, it happens move on and forget it.
Sean

Offline Straight Edge Painting

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
Business relationship with his wife that's unrelated to painting??? sounds kinky!   ;D

[http://www.straightedgepaintingllc.com]interior painting Jacksonville fl[/url]

anything