Author Topic: Difficulty Picking the Right Color  (Read 3602 times)

Offline epw

Difficulty Picking the Right Color
« on: October 27, 2016, 12:15:52 PM »
Hi guys, I hope I'm in the right type of forum to ask this type of question!   If not, just tell me to buggar off.  ;)   We're renovating a home we just bought.   We're having a lot of trouble deciding on a paint to use in the main areas (kitchen, living, master, office and hallway).   My hope was to find a LIGHT gray with just a SLIGHT hue of beige or taupe in it.   But as I've started trying many different samples, none of them are quite doing it for me, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe I need the opposite.... a light taupe with just a slight huge of gray in it.   

If it helps... our floors are a very, very dark wood.  This wood runs through the entire first story of the house... living, kitchen, dining, office, and master (even the bathroom).  And our goal is to eventually remodel the bathroom and the kitchen with mostly white cabinets, chrome hardware, and some sort of white/grayish granite countertops. 

So you see, I waffle back and forth between the two colors I mention above... I believe the taupe w/gray would be beautiful and warmer, and easier to switch back to earth tones if we ever decided to do that later down the road.   But I also wonder if the gray w/taupe would be just as easily to transition since both are sorta earth anyway.   

From the above description of our home and what we're going for in our bath/kitchen, does anyone have a good suggestion on a very light taupe/beige that has just a slight hue of gray in it?  Or if you have a suggestion on a light gray that has a noticeable taupe in it, I'd be happy to hear of that too.  Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated.  We're about to spend a lot of money painting our entire house, and we're terrified of getting a bad color on the wall, and could use any suggestions for the perfect color in this type of family.

Offline mymint87

• PF God
Re: Difficulty Picking the Right Color
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:00:40 PM »
welcome...try choosing an accent base color...you should be able find one that comes  close to your fixed or factory finished colors in each room, then request a 50% formula and a 25% formula of the color you chose....good luck...best results are only from pastel bases not white or deep bases
I don't do this for a hobby and I'm damn sure I don't need the practice

anything