Author Topic: Painting Kitchen Cabinets  (Read 7435 times)

Offline D. Berry

Painting Kitchen Cabinets
« on: February 18, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
I have a good amount of experience painting but have not done any painting to speak of for a few years. I plan to paint some oak cabinets by hand. I will probably stay with Zinsser 123 for my primer. I'm debating using a mini mohair cover for my final finish unless I'm convinced to roll and back-brush or just brush. I haven't used B.Moore's Advance alkyd, Cabinet Coat, or S.Williams's acrylic alkyd.  I never use oil anymore, but I really don't like the quick drying paint these days. I've heard most waterborne alkyds take a long time to cure well. I want the brand that will level the best without a huge learning curve I don't want orange peel or brush marks. I will use an extender. Thanks for any suggestions.

What are your suggestions on:

rolling, rolling and back-brushing, just brushing and the best paint to use?

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
Re: Painting Kitchen Cabinets
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 04:05:32 AM »
I want the brand that will level the best without a huge learning curve I don't want orange peel or brush marks.

Then you either need them sprayed or a professional painter that has done a lot of cabinets.(or both)

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 07:56:42 PM »
Thanks. I don't consider myself an amateur, I have painted for a number of years, but just not a lot of cabinets. I've sprayed some, but not enough to feel that comfortable, so I don't want to attempt it. Do you have a recommendation of which paint? I think I've ruled out Cabinet Coat since it only comes in a satin.

Offline chrisn

• postingpro
  • PF Mega God
    • http://www.paintingwallpaperinghagerstown.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:20:22 AM »
Advance or Satin Impervo (oil would be best but the waterborne would work also)

Offline D. Berry

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 09:26:48 AM »
Thanks, Chrisn, I appreciate your input.

Offline welovepainting

• Team Jaworski - "We Paint The Town"
    • Jaworski Painting
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 03:25:22 PM »
I have a good amount of experience painting but have not done any painting to speak of for a few years. I plan to paint some oak cabinets by hand. I will probably stay with Zinsser 123 for my primer. I'm debating using a mini mohair cover for my final finish unless I'm convinced to roll and back-brush or just brush. I haven't used B.Moore's Advance alkyd, Cabinet Coat, or S.Williams's acrylic alkyd.  I never use oil anymore, but I really don't like the quick drying paint these days. I've heard most waterborne alkyds take a long time to cure well. I want the brand that will level the best without a huge learning curve I don't want orange peel or brush marks. I will use an extender. Thanks for any suggestions.

What are your suggestions on:

rolling, rolling and back-brushing, just brushing and the best paint to use?

We specialize in kitchen cabinet painting and refinishing, probably do about 100 kitchens a year.  Do you like the look of painted oak?  When oak is painted it highlights the heavy grain / texture that oak is known for.  We always paint the shell and facings with Sherwin Williams Pro Classic Satin Oil and a high quailty 1/4 mini roller.  And for the doors and doors we spray the with lacquer primer and finish, which is awesome because lacquer offers a high quality furniture grade finish and dries to touch with in 30 minutes.

anything